[[caption-width-right:250:I will send you home at once! [[AndYourLittleDogToo And your little dog too!]]]]
A 1983 EdutainmentGame by 4Mation for the UsefulNotes/BBCMicro, ''Granny's Garden'' was most commonly played in British primary schools up until the early 1990s. The BBC Micro is gone from the classroom, but 4Mation is still around, and so developed updated versions of the game for Windows and UsefulNotes/MacOS X to use. (There was also an updated version for the Usefulnotes/AcornArchimedes, the successor to the UsefulNotes/BBCMicro.)
The story is very simple. You are visiting your grandmother whose garden contains a magic tree. Upon your finding it, the tree transports you to the Kingdom of the Mountains, where the king and queen have been locked away by a WickedWitch who kidnapped all of their children. It is up to the player, with the assistance of a magical raven, to return all six children to their family.
!!This game provides examples of:
* ButThouMust: What is probably the game's main claim to notability is the following gloriously egregious use of this trope almost immediately after starting the game...and it is the first of many.
-->Can you see a cave?\\
Yes you can.\\
Do you want to go inside?\\
Yes you do.
* [[GameOverMan Game Over Woman]]: The Witch.
* InferredHolocaust: When you send the bee to help you get past the dog, it happily announces that it'll sting the dog on the bottom. A six-year-old schoolchild doesn't consider the implications of this, but when you know a bit more about biology you'll know you're sending the poor bee out on a [[SuicideAttack suicide mission]].
* KarmaHoudini: Despite being the main antagonist, the witch never receives any kind of punishment for her actions
* NeverSayDie: When the evil witch catches you, she sends you back home. Mind you, this applies only to the player character — the [=LPer=] above experiences a MyGodWhatHaveIDone moment after somehow killing a snake by throwing an apple at it.
* ParentalBonus: One version of the Acorn Archimedes version had a separate app to play the background music, due to technical difficulties getting the in-game music to work with older versions of [=RISC OS=]. The name of the app? !4Play.
* RainbowSpeak: "I am the King and Queen's [[color:blue:Blue]] Raven. I have [[color:purple:Magic]] Powers."
* TrialAndErrorGameplay: Sometimes you'll pick up an item, and it'll trigger a trap later.
* UnwinnableByDesign: On the other hand, sometimes you'll decline to pick it up and you can't win without it.
* ViolationOfCommonSense: At one point, a giant asks you whether you want him to eat you. You have to agree to progress.
* [[WantonCrueltyToTheCommonComma Wanton Cruelty to the Common Apostrophe]]: You'd think a [[Creator/TheBBC BBC]] educational title would be more careful to avoid things like "It's mouth is open wide."
* WhatDoYouMeanItWasntMadeOnDrugs: "I am the Talking Toadstool!"
* WhatHappenedToTheMouse: The introductory text talks about a king and queen who were locked away by the evil witch. They are never mentioned again.