->''We are all dying waiting for you to get here.''
''[=DreadOut=]'' is a [[SurvivalHorror survival horror]] game from an Indonesian indie developer called Digital Happiness. When a group of high school students go astray from their vacation trip, they discover an old, deserted town. They quickly realize that something sinister is about to happen when they enter said town. Linda, the main protagonist, soon realizes that something different/mystical is happening to her. She suddenly has a spiritual power that can perhaps save her and her friends from the unknown.
The gameplay is based on taking pictures of the ghostly enemies to fight them, much like the [[Franchise/FatalFrame Fatal Frame series]]. However, the gadgets used are modern inventions, e.g., smartphones, digital cameras, and digital video cameras, rather than something vintage. Also, the game is based on Indonesian folklore ghosts and takes place in a rural Indonesian town. As usual for the genre, the game contains exploration and puzzle-solving.
Now available on Steam [[http://store.steampowered.com/app/269790/ here]].
!!'''This game provides examples of:'''
* AdaptationalBadass: In Indonesian myth, pocong is usually depicted with their hands and legs tied, leaving them more-or-less incapable of physical assault and making hopping their only way to move. In the game...not so much.
* AllJustADream: The demo. Most likely also a case of PsychicDreamsForEveryone
* AndYourRewardIsClothes: One of the rewards for funders.
* AttackItsWeakPoint: To defeat Sundel Bolong, [[spoiler: Linda must take a picture of the hole on her back.]]
* BilingualBonus: The posters at the town are written in untranslated Indonesian (unlike the notes). Some of them had humorous meaning or a pun.
* BodyHorror: Palasik is a floating head followed by internal organs. However, averted by the ghosts in the demo so far.
* BonusBoss: [[spoiler: After collecting all three Soldier's Medal, Linda can explore the town at nighttime. Facing ghosts that are not normally encountered in the game such as Pocong, Kuntilanak, and a Young Genderuwo.]]
* CatapultNightmare: Borderline case towards the ending of the demo.
* CreepyDoll: In one of the rooms in the demo you can find a dirty teddy-bear-ish doll hung by a noose, with a fallen chair under it.
* ElectronicSpeechImpediment: we'RE all DYING...we'RE all DYING...we'RE all DYING.
* EndlessCorridor: The [[spoiler: Demit Lorong]] chases Linda in here.
* FailureIsTheOnlyOption: In the demo.
* FirstPersonSnapshooter: The main feature of the gameplay.
* GhostlyGape: At least one apparition has [[http://dreadout.com/images/ss05.jpg this appearance]] (albeit with white eyes above a black mouth).
* HauntedHouse: Or rather, haunted village.
* ImprobableWeaponUser: And how. As far as we know, the phone used by Linda is a normal smartphone.
* LargeHam: Linda's 'friend' you encounter in the demo.
* MagicalCamera: The camera application of the smartphone is somehow able to deal damage to spirits by taking their picture.
* MeaningfulName: [=IrisPhone=]. Iris is responsible for controlling the size of the pupil to control the amount of light received by the eye.
* NightmareFace: And how.
* PigMan: Babi Ngepet. A ''large'' sized pig/boar with a human face when viewed with the camera.
* SchoolUniformsAreTheNewBlack: The characters we've seen so far are wearing their school uniforms...during their '''vacation trip'''.
* ShoutOut: In the demo you can find a girl just [[BlairWitchProject standing there facing the wall]].
** There are some at the Steam achievements, such as "[[Manga/AttackOnTitan Attack On Titan]]" after taking the picture of [[spoiler: Young Genderuwo]] and "GhostRider" for a picture of [[spoiler: Pocong on Motorcycle]].
* SilentSnarker: Linda.
* StringyHairedGhostGirl: Naturally.
* TheQuietOne: Save for a few gasps and grunts, Linda doesn't say much and doesn't really talk with the other characters, even if they're having a conversation with her.
* TheStoic: Downplayed. Linda does show emotions, but not as much as her friends do. Heck, Ira even comments that Linda was never the type to panic or be surprised by anything.
* VitriolicBestBuds: Downplayed with Linda and Ira. They're both ChildhoodFriends, but are not above playfully hurting each other (i.e. slapping, play choking).
* WhatCouldHaveBeen: According to the first Dev Diary video, the game has been through many changes in gameplay, including: 3rd person RPG horror, 3rd person action horror, FPS survival horror, casual puzzle horror, sci-fi horror, casual horror, and the current iteration.
* WomanInWhite: Kuntilanak enemies. Based on the illustration on the [=IndieGogo=] page, matianak will also be like this. As well as Sundel Bolong.