''Dark Heart of Uukrul'' was a CRPG for the UsefulNotes/AppleII and IBM PC, written by Digital Studios Limited and released by Creator/BroderbundSoftware in 1988.
!! ''Dark Heart of Uukrul'' contains examples of the following tropes:
* ApocalypticLog: The manual included the diary of the previous, dismally failed, attempt to defeat Uukrul.
* ArbitraryHeadcountLimit: The party consisted of exactly four characters - one each of the Warrior, Paladin, Cleric, and Mage classes.
* CopyProtection: In addition to any on-disk copy protection, the feelies included a black-text-on-maroon-paper code book used to unlock the Sanctuaries (which were the only location in which you could save your game). Also, casting spells required you to type in the spell name from the user manual.
* CrosswordPuzzle: One area of the game featured one of these; the solutions were used as passwords for secret doors.
* DungeonCrawling: The entire game takes place in the underground city of Eriosthé.
* FinalDeath: A failed attempt to resurrect a character resulted in the destruction of their body. The longer a corpse stayed dead, the more likely a resurrection attempt was to fail. In the event of a TotalPartyKill, the party's corpses would remain where they fell until other (abstracted) adventurers came along and dragged them back to the "safe" part of Erisothé to be resurrected.
* ManaDrain: The Mage's Sator and Rotas spells.
* PlotCoupon: Uukrul's own heart, and the fossilized hearts that act as keys for its storage container.
* WithThisHerring: The "we're choosing you because the BigBad can't possibly have heard of you" variant.