''Daikaijuu Monogatari'' is a Japan-only fantasy video game series of primarily RolePlayingGames developed by BIRTHDAY. It features a human fire elemental hero and three adorable reptilian/amphibious creatures called Shell-beasts saving the world from evil. It utilizes a ''VideoGame/DragonQuest''-styled gameplay and battle system.
The original game was released in [[TheEighties 1988]] for the [[UsefulNotes/NintendoEntertainmentSystem Nintendo Family Computer]] as ''Kaijuu Monogatari'' (with the printed English title ''Shell Saurs Story''). It was published by [[Creator/BandaiNamcoEntertainment Namcot]]. BIRTHDAY moved to another publisher for the next game. This game, called ''Daikaijuu Monogatari'' (or ''Greater Tale of Shell Monsters'' by a translator) for the [[UsefulNotes/SuperNintendoEntertainmentSystem Super Famicom]], was released in 1994 few days before Christmas. From that release, the series was published by Creator/HudsonSoft.
A sequel called ''Daikaijuu Monogatari II'' for the Super Famicom was released in August 1996. In the following year, a TradingCardGame called ''Daikaijuu Monogatari: THE MIRACLE OF THE ZONE'' (MOZ) became available. There is a UsefulNotes/GameBoy game featuring this TCG and a UsefulNotes/GameBoyColor sequel, as well as a manga. A SpinOff featuring one of the main Shell-beasts (''Poyon's Dungeon Room'') was released for the Game Boy Color, and it has its own sequel.
The ''Daikaijuu Monogatari'' series is presumed dormant since the early 2000s, although a mobile port of the 1994 game with enhancements was released in 2006. BIRTHDAY worked on additional intellectual properties including the video game ''Videogame/ElementalGimmickGear'' the anime ''Anime/FushigiboshiNoFutagohime'', and MOZ's successor ''Miracle V Master''.
* AllInARow: All the time if a character or object is with you.
* AllYourPowersCombined: The Combo Shell
* BigCreepyCrawlies: [[spoiler: [[BigBad Gab Farr]]]] and his minions in the first game
* BigEater: Poyon, especially in the 2nd game
* BioAugmentation: [[spoiler: How Baltes became the way he was: Dr. Doan fused him with a beast]]
* ButThouMust: In the first game, the Shell Beast Elder makes you take the mantle of the Fire Shell Hero regardless of your choices (He will ask 4 times)
* CallToAdventure: Each of the Heroes in the first game aside from the Elemental Shell Heroes and Pot have reasons as to why they are fighting. (Most of them received letters from Abaluda: King of Sandside, requesting that they take up arms against Dogler)
* CharacterLevel: Even leveling up fully restores the entire party in the 1994 game!
* DarkWorld: [[spoiler: In the 2nd game, the Dark Zone and the world itself is covered in darkness after the floating continent collapses]]
* DirtyOldMan: Magi [[spoiler: He forgets all his magic when the woman he feels up, smashes his head with a serving tray]]
* DistressedDude [[spoiler: The Fire Shell Hero himself in the 1st Super Famicom Game]]
* EvilIsNotAToy: [[spoiler: In Daikaijuu Monogatari 2, Dr. Doan releases Dark from his seal in order to gain knowledge about the ancients; Dark spares Doan in exchange for servitude.]]
* GetOnTheBoat: Few times.
* GlobalAirship: Gromler Bug in the first Super Famicom game. The Dragobird in the second.
* TheGreatestStoryNeverTold: The Hero is sent home in all the games after the final battle.
* TheGreatFlood: Twice over in the First Super Famicom Game, [[spoiler: completely subverted in the second as the inner ocean is completely drained after Dark sinks the floating continent, pieces of it fall into the inner ocean, creating large holes in the ground causing the water to sink into the Underworld]]
* HeroicSacrifice: [[spoiler: The Robot in the first Super Famicom Game remains on the meteorite to send it back to space while Gabro in the second game throws himself into the Dark Zone]]
* HoistByHisOwnPetard: [[spoiler: Jodan uses magic to turn the hero into a pig, but he hits a mirror causing it to backfire on himself.]]
* AHomeownerIsYou: Not too literally, but in both Super Famicom games, the hero can have his own town!
* HubCity: Dorado City in the first game.
* InterchangeableAntimatterKeys: Silver keys in ''Kaijuu Monogatari''.
* Irony: [[spoiler: Gab Farr wanted an Aura Ball to create a new generation of creatures like himself, is sealed into one after his defeat]]
* TheManBehindTheMan: [[spoiler: The Sorcerer Dark created 2 copies of Fat Badger, one was sealed in Dorado City by the Heroes in ''Kaijuu Monogatari'' while the Kutominians sealed the other in an isolated area]]
* MineralMacGuffin: The Aura Stones
* MonsterClown: Jodan in 2 [[spoiler: He kidnaps children, turns them into pigs and forces them to perform to make money, after the world is covered in darkness, those that don't submit to him will not be sold Photon Oil (Needed for light)]]
* NobleDemon: Megaloking [[spoiler: Subverted in the 3rd fight in which his memories are erased [[DyingAsYourself however his memories do return before death]]]]
* OneWingedAngel: The Final bosses of both Super Famicom games [[spoiler: Gab Farr transforms into a giant fly, while Dark transforms into a large monster wearing armor]]
* PlayingWithFire: The protagonists of both games, the Fire Dragon, and others.
* [[spoiler: ReallyRoyaltyReveal]]: [[spoiler: Killer is Lester, Royal Prince of Shelldorado who was washed away 20 years ago.]]
* SealedEvilInACan: [[spoiler: Fat Badger was sealed in ''Kaijuu Monogatari'', released from confinement in the first Super Famicom game, and Dark in the second Super Famicom game]]
* SealedGoodInACan: Pot in both games and the summon spells in 2
* ShoutOut: Fat Badger in the first Super Famicom game looks a lot like Oozaru from ''Anime/DragonBallZ''.
* SquishyWizard: Magi, Kupikupi, and Pot
* WhipItGood: Kirara's weapons.
* YouAllMeetInAnInn: The Heroes Quarters in Sandside
* YouCantThwartStageOne: [[spoiler: Dark gets all the Aura Stones regardless and releases a sealed entity on the floating continent to amplify his own power, he then causes said continent to collapse, covering the world with darkness and draining the inner oceans]]
* YouHaveFailedMe: [[spoiler: Gab Farr kills his own daughter]] and [[spoiler: Dark kills Phantom Queen]]