[[caption-width-right:275:Feed With Candy]]
''Cut the Rope'' is a physics-based [[PuzzleGame puzzle video game]] for the iOS, Android and [[NintendoDS DSiWare]].
The objective of each of the game's levels is to maneuver a piece of candy into the mouth of a cartoon monster, called Om Nom, and also to pick up up to three stars per level by touching them with the candy.
All you have to do is cut the rope to let the candy drop into Om Nom's mouth... at first. Later levels provide bubbles, automatically-appearing rope, sliding rope as well as hazards in the form of [[SpikesOfDoom spikes]], [[DemonicSpiders spiders]] and electrical traps. Its direct sequel, ''Cut the Rope: Experiments'', builds on prior mechanics in the same vein, adding stuff like ropes attached to suction cups. A third game, ''Cut the Rope: Time Travel'', adds the challenge of feeding two Om Noms. A fourth game, ''Cut the Rope 2'', introduces some new friends to help Om Nom get his candy. The fifth game, ''Cut the Rope: Magic'', adds boss levels and the ability to transform Om Nom into other creatures.
Despite sounding similar, this game is completely unrelated to ''VideoGame/YouHaveToBurnTheRope'', other than the fact that both games involve rope and breaking it.
!!'''Tropes used for this game:'''
* AWinnerIsYou: The ending is pretty much bare bones, showing Om Nom on top of a massive mountain of candy and the words "Thank You For Playing".
** ''Cut the Rope 2'' has a more conventional AndTheAdventureContinues ending.
* BanditMook: The spiders, sort of. They will try to steal the candy once they reach the end of the rope they're on (which is attached to the candy). To prevent them from doing so, cut the rope they're on.
* BigEater: Om Nom. The AWinnerIsYou ending shows him on top of a 10-metre high mound of candy.
* CartoonCreature: What exactly is Om Nom supposed to be (other than a monster)?
* DinnerDeformation: If Om Nom eats the candy in baby form in ''Cut The Rope: Magic'' he takes the form of the candy.
* EasterEgg: Try touching Om Nom and see what happens.
* ExactlyWhatItSaysOnTheTin: You have to cut the rope.
* ExcusePlot: You have a monster, and he's hungry for candy.
* EvilLaugh: The spiders do one when they nab your candy.
* GottaCatchEmAll: The stars. Three of them are in each level, and the path to getting them is ''less than easy''...
** There's also the pictures. You have to click on suspicious parts of the background to find them, and those are very subtle.
** On ''Cut the Rope 2'' there are clovers that require special power ups to get to, as well as medals for completing levels a certain way (earning over a certain ammount of points, collecting only one or two stars, not using certain tools, etc.). Getting them unlocks bonus levels.
* GravityScrew: Present in the Cosmic Box, and also a few levels in the Magic Box.
* HeliCritter: Roto from ''Cut the Rope 2''.
* HerrDoctor: The professor in ''Cut the Rope: Experiments''.
* HundredPercentCompletion: Getting all the stars.
* IdenticalAncestor: The various Om Noms from different eras in ''Cut the Rope: Time Travel''.
* KingMook: The wizard in ''Cut the Rope: Magic'' is basically a larger spider with robes and a turban.
* MeaningfulName: '''Om'''''Nom''nomnomnomnomnom...
* OurDragonsAreDifferent: On ''Cut the Rope: Magic'' you can briefly turn Om Nom into a dragon. He doesn't breathe fire, but he does let out a SneezeOfDoom powerful enough to knock things around a bit.
* OurMonstersAreDifferent: And this one's adorable and harmless...
* PeekABogeyman: Boo from ''Cut the Rope 2''.
* RidiculouslyCuteCritter: Om Nom, the little green monster. And if he fails to get his candy, he makes a little "aww..." sound along with a sad face. A ''ridiculously cute'' sad face.
** UpToEleven in the web series ''WebAnimation/OmNomStories'' which shows him looking for candy in [[RogerRabbitEffect the real world]].
** The first episode of season 2 (episode 11) kicks off the "Time Travel" arc. Starting with episode 12, the episodes are fully animated. And we get to meet some of Om Nom's ancestors. D'awwwwwwwwwwwwwww... [[spoiler:In the last episode of the season, he finally returns home. The last part of the episode shows him on a live-action background.]]
** And in ''Cut the Rope 2,'' Om Nom meets some new friends (known as the "Nommies"), who also feature in season 3 of ''WebAnimation/OmNomStories'':
*** Roto, a flying creature
*** Lick, a creature who can make tightrope-like bridges using his tongue
*** Blue, a creature that can make copies of himself
*** Toss, a creature who can throw almost anything using the spring on top of her head
*** Boo, a creature who likes to swing on ropes, ride in bubbles and scare Om Nom.
*** Snailbrow, introduced in the "Fruit Market" update, a snail-like creature with one eye who can give Om Nom rides.
*** Ginger, introduced in the "Bakery" update, a living flame creature that burns away wooden blocks.
** The transformations of Om Nom in ''Cut the Rope: Magic'' are also cute, but none more so than Baby Om Nom.
* SelectiveMagnetism: In ''Cut the Rope 2'' there are magnets that attract candy.
* ShownTheirWork: In terms of physics, this game is very accurate- tension, gravity, momentum are all fully and well-implemented.
* [[FourLeggedInsect Six Legged Spider]]: Unfortunately, the spiders do fail biology by having only six legs.
* SmurfettePrinciple: Currently, Toss is the only female Nommie.
* SpikesOfDoom: Present in many, many levels. Don't let the candy touch these - it will crack, and Om Nom will be sad.
* SpinOff: Zepto Lab, the creators of the game, made a series of short subjects called ''WebAnimation/OmNomStories''. As of this writing, 27 episodes (in three seasons, each corresponding to a game in the ''Cut the Rope'' series), a pilot, and two "Behind the Scenes" reels have been posted. [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sz1kX1Z3CUE&list=SPVxGcyI6KPth2dKNkp-0dH2VYCJCppzDE&index=10 Here is the first episode.]]
* SpringsSpringsEverywhere: The Toy Box introduces bouncy platforms which the candy will bounce off from.
** On ''Cut the Rope 2'' you have Toss, who is a living spring.
* SurpriseJump: In ''Cut the Rope 2'' you can use Boo to scare Om Nom into a new position.
* TeleportersAndTransporters: The Magic Box introduces the magician's hats, which act as transporters. The sweet retains its speed if it passes through one, allowing some interesting situations.
** The Christmas stockings in the [[ChristmasSpecial Cut The Rope: Holiday Gift]], [[OlderThanTheyThink which were added before the Magic Box.]]
** Wormhole like portals appear in ''Time Travel'' and ''Magic''.
* TimedMission: Several of them, especially those where the stars disappear after a short time.
** Also, if there's a spider involved, you have to get rid of it (by cutting the rope it's on) before it gets to the candy, otherwise, cue the spider grinning as it leaps off the screen with the candy, followed by Om Nom's sad face.
* TimeStandsStill: On ''Cut the Rope: Time Travel'' there's a "freeze time" button in some levels.
* TrademarkFavoriteFood: Candy for Om Nom, and presumably the spiders who try to steal it.
** When Om Nom is in mouse form in ''Cut the Rope: Magic'', the candy turns into a ball of CartoonCheese.
* TwoHalvesMakeAPlot: First seen in the Valentine Box. You need to get two halves of candy together in order to merge it to feed Om Nom.
* VideoGameCaringPotential: In the opening screen for ''Cut the Rope 2'', you can rub the screen and rub Om Nom's head. He'll make some sort of adorable purring noise.
* WhoopeeCushion: Used to move the candy or Om Nom. In ''Cut the Rope: Magic'' they are replaced by bellows.