[[caption-width:320:It's a block-eat-block world.]]
You, a cubivore, remember a past you never saw or heard but still remember in great detail.
Once upon a time, many colorful beasts called Cubivores lived and died, ate and were eaten all across the world, and the world was bursting with Wilderness.
However, a group of colorless beasts began to work in unison and devour the beasts, along with the wilderness, storing the wilderness in augmented limbs called Raw Meat, which gave them great power. The leader of these colorless beasts was called the Killer Cubivore, and had six pieces of Raw Meat. He set out to devour every bit of the world's wilderness and render the land lifeless.
Then, you're born, and you start to eat things.
Cubivore is a very odd game, where you play as an animal who eats other animals in a law-of-the-jungle world. The game was developed originally for the disc add on to the Nintendo 64, the reason for its low-res cubic art style. A Cubivore is basically an animal head with strategically positioned flaps of limbs called meat stuck to either its body or other meat flaps.
The primary mechanic of the game involved collecting combinations of colors, which allow the player's cubivore to mutate into different color-coded species with different abilities. These combinations start out as light or dark solid colors or mixed light and dark, but progress to "Rage" colors which require different mixing principles to form "Clash" species. The goal of the game is to obtain 100 different mutations and confront the Killer Cubivore to restore Wilderness and life to the world.
On the way, the player would battle the colorless beasts, who held the Wilderness in their Raw Meat. Devouring them allows the player to progress to the next area, and also allows them to mate, producing more powerful offspring with more limbs. Of course, the game started you off with one limb, then up to six.
The sister game to the popular ''AnimalCrossing''. Unfortunately, ''Cubivore'' never caught on like its counterpart. It had mostly average reviews, praising the game's creativity but criticizing it for its length and extremely outdated graphics.
!!This Game Provides Examples Of:
* AllThereInTheManual: The manual provides an in-depth explanation of Cubivore biology. If you don't have the manual, or haven't read it, you won't know how a Cubivore lives with only a head and flaps of muscle too thin to hold organs.
** The "head" of a cubivore is really their entire body, containing their stomach and other digestive and nervous organs, and don't have a heart. The movement of their meat flaps functions as a blood pump, hence why all cubivores have an idle animation of them moving somehow. Color in limbs is based on what sort of five kinds of blood runs through it.
* AppliedPhlebotinum: Wilderness
* BigBad: The Killer Cubivore
** [[spoiler: At least, until you become him.]]
** [[spoiler: The real Big Bad constantly changes due to more powerful beasts taking the title. You fight the former Killer Cubivores, the District Attorney Beast and the Hitman Cubivore, as the [[ClimaxBoss Climax Bosses]] of the Bear and Bird arcs. By the time you reach the Killer Cubivore, it's the most powerful possible beast in the game, a Zen.]]
* BleakLevel: They are white and desolate until you restore Wilderness to them, either by defeating the boss or eating small bugs that carry Wilderness.
* BonusFeatureFailure: Once you obtain all 150 Mutations you get locked out of the main game and can only play in the bonus stage, which has nothing for you to do except kill non-hostile beasts. All 150 mutations become EZ-Mutable, but you're stuck with 6 limbs anyway, so only 25 of them really matter.
* BossInMookClothing: Considering that every single boss is some sort of species, chances are that you'll see plenty of normal, colored beasts exactly like them sans Raw Meat or silvery appearance.
* ChickMagnet: You become this when you enter the Mating Tunnel with a new piece of Raw Meat.
* ColourCodedForYourConvenience: Everything in the game.
* CompetitiveBalance: Averted. While each of the five different colors has specialized stats they excel in, there is still a progression of power from one color to the other in overall stats. True, Yellowbrates, the weakest color, have the most attack and defense, but their other stats are as low as they get, whereas Greyodons, the strongest form, excel even in their weakest stats.
* CurbStompBattle: If you're in a powerful enough form, you can smack around a few bosses so easily it's pathetic.
* DeathOfAThousandCuts: If you are in a weak form, such as pale red, and the thing you're trying to kill and eat is pure dark or more intense and equal or superior to youin number of limbs, you'll have to rely on chip damage to bring them down since the gaps in power are so great.
* DeathBySex: Pretty much.
** "I MATED WITH TWENTY FEMALES. THEY ALL BORE CHILDREN."
* DoubleStandard: The male goes out and kills monsters to get bigger, then selects a random female to mate with him. Of course, that doesn't really matter, because all the females are dying to have sex with the male who has the highest status and is the most manly.
* DualBoss: Provides the page quote.
** WolfPackBoss: A few, most notably at the end.
** FlunkyBoss: At least one of the enemy killer cubivores.
* DuelBoss: While the Killer Cubivore has the four Divibeasts fighting alongside him, you can take those four out without aggro'ing the Killer Cubivore at all, since he stands away from them. Once they're gone the fight becomes this, in that you can only defeat the Killer Cubivore one limb at a time despite your fangs and must remove ALL limbs rather than just the one containing Raw Wilderness, but at the same time ''he'' can only hurt you one limb at a time, as opposed to all other enemies who will gladly rip off two or three pieces of meat if they have the fangs for it.
* ExpositionFairy: Considering nothing else in the game even speaks or does anything but try to eat you or run away, you happen to control an example of one.
* ExtremeOmnivore: If it moves, or grows, you can and will eat it.
* FragileSpeedster: Redapeds. They might not be the fastest, but their jumps are so great that they can dance around anything if one knows how to use them. That, and some dive bomb when the pounce, becoming a bullet made of meat.
* GenerationXerox: Every time you mate your character dies and you start playing as their son with the same consciousness.
* GettingCrapPastTheRadar: When successfully pulling of an "Eat 'n Run" the eaten monster's head creates a fountain of blood. Eating regularly also results in the monster expelling blood. Yet the game still is rated E.
* GlassCannon: Blueocytes, which have great attack power and illogically cool long ranged pounces, but are weak otherwise. Some species have their heads positioned sideways so that they can circle their prey.
* GottaCatchEmAll: Collecting mutations is the driving game mechanic. [[spoiler: If you don't get one hundred mutations by the end of the bird lap, you're sent back to the pig lap for a second run until you get one hundred forms.]]
* HighPressureBlood: When you do an Eat n' Run, instead of bleeding a little like when limbs are normally ripped off, the victim's head spirals into the air with a geyser of purple blood that does not stop bleeding until the head decomposes.
* HurricaneOfPuns: Your character loves to make stupid puns based on its current species (not mutation form, rather, the appearance of its head).
* InterspeciesRomance: Whenever your character mates, there are numerous species of cubivores in their harem.
* JackOfAllStats: Purpials, considering that their stats are mostly balanced and are unremarkable save for their reverse stats, which allow them to go great speeds without becoming exhausted.
* LightningBruiser: Greyodons. So much so, that the entire boss cast (except for one section) of the [[spoiler:bear]] lap are dark Greyodons.
* LostForever: Averted for most things, but there is one minor EasterEgg of sorts that can be missed. The game takes you to the final boss battle once you have defeated the [[ClimaxBoss Hitman Cubivore]] ''and'' obtained 100 Mutations. If you complete the former before the latter, you'll be taken to redo levels until you reach 100. [[spoiler:If you complete the latter ''before'' the former, a very difficult task unless you specifically go out of your way to avoid eating certain things and to eat things in specific orders instead of randomly, then your Cubivore's head gets an aesthetic upgrade to resemble a more realistic animal's head, albeit still cubic, and the completion screen lists your 100th form as the "True" King of Cubivores, with a much larger crowd of animals gathered around you.]]
* MegaManning: Aside from taking the colorations from each enemy you eat, the bosses carry Raw Meat, which is obtained from them on consumption. There are 6 different kinds, plus a sort of seventh one.
** ChameleonCamouflage: Raw-Snout.
** ChickMagnet: While any Raw Meat will make you this, the Raw-Life will attract the Consu-mate to you, thus ending that particular lap of the game and starting the next one. Suffice to say, any boss carrying the Raw-Life is essentially the final boss of that particular arc.
** DefendCommand: Raw-Bone
** DoNotRunWithAGun: Averted by the Raw-Claw. It allows you to lock on and pounce even while moving.
** PlotCoupon: The Raw-Wilderness does not bestow any abilities upon you when eaten, though like the others it is concentrated Wilderness. It is simply held by all the final bosses to remind the player that they're fighting them to free the last of the Wilderness.
** StatusBuffDispel: Averted, the Raw-Peeper makes it so that even if a foe tears off one of your limbs, you retain the Raw-Meat ability that would have been on it. So in effect, having the Raw Peeper basically means you have every ability twice.
** VideogameDashing: The Raw-Paw.
* MightyGlacier: Yellowbrates, which are often painfully slow, but powerful, and have a nigh-impenetrable guard.
* NoExportForYou: Nintendo developed it but you can thank Atlus that it ever got out of Japan.
* NobodyPoops: Averted! "Taking a doo" is a valid gameplay action that helps with mixing colors at the later levels.
* OneHundredPercentCompletion: Once you've beaten the game, you may return to obtain all 150 possible mutations. Do so [[BonusFeatureFailure at your own risk]], however.
* OutWithABang: The Consu-mate's way of mating with males is to eat them alive.
* PhlebotinumOverdose: [[spoiler:Your character eventually holds so much wilderness in his body, he begins to go feral.]]
* RainbowSpeak: Whenever your character talks about certain colors of species, their species name is colored appropriately.
* SecretAIMoves: Among them are...
** IntangibleMan: The red Divibeast can turn invisible, preventing you from attacking it..
** MakeMeWannaShout: Several Bluocyte bosses, the blue Divibeast, and the Killer Cubivore once on his last leg (literally).
** RollingAttack: While the yellow-form player and several Yellowbrates can use this, the yellow Divibeast gets a longer and more controlled one than the player is allowed.
** RubberMan: The Pursesnatcher Cubivore can extend its legs to dodge your attacks.
** SpinToDeflectStuff: Two Purpial bosses, the purple Divibeast, and again the Killer Cubivore once down to his last limb.
* StealthBasedMission: One level in the Bird lap has a level filled with six-limbed Clash Greyodons. You only have three limbs at the point. Even ignoring that they'll tear you to shreds in seconds if they catch you, [[SoundOfNoDamage you can't even hurt them]].
* SuicidalOverconfidence: Kind of not the case, weaker enemies usually try to escape you if the situation is obvious and packs will break off if they see you do a lot of damage.
* ThemeNaming: Each color/intensity combination has its own naming scheme. For example, Pale Greyodons are all named after haircuts, and [=PaleDark=] Redapeds have gun names.
* TimeSkip: Implied to happen when [[spoiler:the Consu-Mate eats you.]]
** [[spoiler:During these time skips, the Big Bad also changes, since the original Big Bad has been kicked down in rank to be the District Attorney Beast in the Bear Lap, and at the end of the Bird Lap, it is mentioned that the Hitman Beast was recently the Killer Cubivore before being usurped in rank before you got to him.]]
* TurnsRed: The Killer Cubivore straddles the line between this and ClippedWingAngel. After being reduced to only one limb, he gets a full health restore (As opposed to most beasts only regaining a portion of their health after losing a limb) and begins utilizing long-range roar attacks and deflective spins.
* WarriorPoet: Your character frequently composes poetry about killing, eating, and mating. [[spoiler: As you progress through the Bird Lap, your character gradually dispenses with the poetry and replaces the rhymes with screams of bloodlust.]]
* YouAreWhoYouEat: How mutating works.