->''[[TitleThemeTune "They Are Burning Rangers, Go!"]]''
''Burning Rangers'' is a third person shooter (of sorts) on the SegaSaturn. Developed by SonicTeam and dreamed up by Yuji Naka (and others) this game is perhaps the best in-house Sega game for the Saturn.
The game it set in the near future as we follow an elite team of fire-fighters. They respond to any major incident by: hopping into their spacecraft, teleporting down, subduing the fires by shooting lasers at them and reducing them into crystals, using their jetpacks to navigate the terrain, before finally teleporting the survivors off onto their spaceship. Throughout the game we fight malfunctioning robots and save people in: a factory of some sort, an underwater aquarium, a orbiting space station and a man-made asteroid.
On the asteroid is a young girl was suffering from an incurable disease, placed into stasis and sent into space with a powerful AI to monitor her situation and any progress on the cure. However once the AI finds out a cure has been found it sends the asteroid on a collision course with earth and is also, somehow, responsible for the disasters that have been taking place in the game. Its up to the two young rookies of the team to save the girl, save Earth and teach children about the dangers of naked flames.
While the game hasn't received a sequel and is potentially the least successful game Sonic Team has ever made, it's still fondly remembered to this day and receives cameos and references in some of SEGA's games. (Especially the [[AwesomeMusic songs]].) Yosuke Okunari, head of SEGA's recent re-releases, has stated that if ''[[NiGHTsIntoDreams NiGHTs HD]]'' sells well, he will attempt to [[https://twitter.com/okunari/status/253453198227017728 propose a HD re-release]] of ''Burning Rangers'' as well. The ball is in your court, fans.
!!Contains Examples of the following Tropes;
* AllThereInTheManual: The characters actually have quite a bit of backstory to them, such as Big's robotic parts resulting from a previous accident in his career and Chris's motivation for being a Ranger due to the death of her father.
* AwardBaitSong: ''[[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hv8Mde-LXNE I Just Smile]]''.
** ImageSong: The song is seemingly sung from [[spoiler:Iria's perspective, talking about how she can't return to the time before she slept, yet she is able to smile and look to the future as the Burning Rangers now accept her as family.]]
* BadassCrew: These guys will brave all hazards and fire outbreaks to rescue survivors. Woe betides anyone who tries to stop them.
* BraggingThemeTune: ''[[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rS-iY0YTgnA We Are Burning Rangers]]''
* CreatorCameo: Yuji Naka is one of the civilians you have to save in the levels, as well as several other Sonic Team members.
** TheHero: Shou.
** TheChick: Tillis.
** TheBigGuy: [[MeaningfulName Big]].
** TheLancer: Reed.
** TheSmartGuy: Chris.
** SixthRanger: [[spoiler: Iria]].
* HeroicDolphin: [[spoiler:Ends up directing you through the underwater sections and even rescuing you at the end of the second level in return for you saving it earlier on.]]
* HeroicFireRescue: But of course!
* GetBackHereBoss: The 3rd boss in the game has you chasing it throughout a tunnel the more you damage it.
* GlassCannon: While badass enough to combat raging fires, getting hit once by anything would cause the playable Ranger to drop all their crystals; getting hit ''without'' any results in a Game Over.
* SaveTheWorldClimax: At first you're just responding to fire outbreaks in order to rescue trapped survivors. However, near the end of the game [[spoiler:the Rangers discover a giant space station that is collecting space debris from across the galaxy that's on a crash course with Earth. You therefore have to quickly head into the ship's central core in an attempt to destroy the ship from the inside and save the world.]]
* ShoutOut: Health in the game is handled with crystals; as long as you have one crystal on hand which can be dotted throughout the level or from fires you've extinguished, you cannot die. [[SonicTheHedgehog Where have we heard this before...?]]
** The third stage has sectors throughout the level named after stages from ''NiGHTS'', such as Twin Seed St.
** ''Burning Rangers'' itself has become this within many Sonic Team games, such as ''PhantasyStarOnline'' and ''SonicPinballParty'', and it even received a track in Sumo Digital's ''[[VideoGame/SegaSuperstars Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed]]''.
* TitleThemeTune: A very EarWorm one at that.
* FiveTokenBand: AllThereInTheManual reveals the nationalities (save Tillis) of each character;
** Shou is from Japan.
** Reed comes from Europe
** Chris hails from America.
** Big is from Africa.