[[caption-width-right:350:The one that started it all.]]
The first game in the ''VideoGame/AceCombat'' series. Released on Playstation in 1995 ([[SimilarlyNamedWorks unrelated to 1992's arcade game]] ''Air Combat'', though it is from the same developers). You fly as the leader of an elite mercenary unit out to stop a terrorist threat.
!! Tropes found in the game
* AceCustom: Every plane you use has a white-with-purple-flames paint scheme. When you're looking over planes to purchase in the hangar, they have standard paint schemes, but then are replaced with the above scheme if you buy them.
* CaptainObvious: Especially grating when compared to other games in the series, but at least your wingman was the only annoying one yammering you.
* CriticalAnnoyance: Did your plane get struck by a pebble? Enjoy hearing "Alert, body damage! Alert, body damage! Alert, body damage! Alert, body damage! Alert, body damage! Alert, body damage! Alert, body damage! Alert, body damage! Alert, body damage! Alert, body damage! Alert, body damage! Alert, body damage!".
* FinalDeath: If you crash a plane or get shot down, you lose that plane for good and, with very few exceptions, cannot buy another one. If you crash all the planes, then it's game over.
* NGOSuperpower: The enemy is supposedly a terrorist group, though the country you're fighting for is [[AllThereInTheManual apparently a small one]] ([[CanonWelding the tiny Skully Islands to the south of Usea]], according to ''Aces at War'').
* TheRevolutionWillNotBeVilified: Averted. You're fighting ''for'' the government.
* TitleDrop: One of the songs on the OST is titled "Ace Combat".