->''"Qua Patet Orbis (As Far As The World Extends)."''
-->--'''Motto of the Netherlands Royal Marines'''
The Dutch military is composed of the Navy, the Army, the Air Force, and the Korps Mariniers. Its military tradition started back during its war of independence (also called UsefulNotes/TheEightyYearsWar) against Spain between 1568 and 1648, and after they had won Dutch ships would rule the waves for more then half of a century.
The Dutch revolt
The northern and southern Netherlands (modern day The Netherlands, Belgium, and Luxemburg) were ruled by the catholic Spanish.
Its military in Europe was defeated by the Germans in World War II. The largest army the Dutch had, the Royal Dutch East Army, was also curbstomped by the Japanese in Indonesia, despite out numbering the Japanese army sent to fight them almost two to one. Over 60,000 Dutch soldiers were imprisoned by the Japanese following their capture of Indonesia; of these, 15,000 were executed or worked to death. In the following occupation of Indonesia, many of the soldiers who had deserted became resistance fighters.
Today, the Dutch military is a NATO member and has troops in Afghanistan. It also joined the Multinational Coalition in Iraq, and sent troops there. As a member of NATO, the Dutch military also took part in the interventions in Bosnia, Kosovo, and Libya.
!!The Dutch Military in Fiction & Media:
* The Dutch I Corps (part of the NATO Northern Army Group) shows up as the initial opponent of General Trimenko's 2nd Tank Army in ''Literature/RedArmy''.
* Version 1.2 of ''VideoGame/ProjectReality'' added the Dutch Army as a playable faction.
* The Dutch Air Force appears in the 1940 campaign of ''Luftwaffe Commander''. You even get those nice black-and-gold triangles painted on your rudder when you shoot down one of their planes.
* The Dutch fleet in ''TabletopGame/VictoryInThePacific'' has exactly 1 ship counter, the De Ruyter, and it's one of the weakest ships in the game - consequently, it's known to be one of the [[RandomNumberGod luckiest]] ships as well.
* ''VideoGame/RiseOfNations'': The Dutch are a playable faction in the ''Thrones & Patriots'' ExpansionPack.
* ''Film/MichielDeRuyter'' shows several of the Dutch Republic's naval combats with the English Royal Navy.