* AuthorExistenceFailure: Bob Arnold, who hosted the website as well as being a valued member of the community, passed away in July 2011. His family shut off the servers after his passing, but his brother-in-law turned them back on after being contacted by the various communities he hosted. The character of Jennifer Stevens was "imported" from Arnold's series "[[http://stardustr.us/zapped Zapped!]]" and placed in Whateley as a former drama teacher as memorandum.
* DawsonCasting: The stories centering on Chou Lee (Bladedancer) are often illustrated with pictures of Zhang Ziyi. The character is fifteen, the actress at least twelve years older...
* PromotedFanboy: The interplay between the Canon writers and the fan base is a significant factor in the series' popularity and longevity.
** When most of the Canon writers dropped out and the series seemed on the verge of collapsing, the two remaining Canon writers recruited several new members from the fanbase, reviving the site. This included canonizing a number of existing fanfics, particularly those of Pejuta, Whisper, and Ribbon.
** Much of the canon of the series was originally explained in the site forum, and much of the wiki was originally based on such posts.
** Two side characters, Mezzo and Ponygirl, began as entries in a fan contest.
** Several other fan stories, vignettes, and characters have made their way into the canon, most notably the funeral of Aunghadhail, Lancer's investigation into the murder of Heyoka, and Dr. Diabolik's comment regarding the Tong of the Dark Madonna. This eventually led to the Canon writers making an explicit policy from Oct 2015 on that they would (with permission) cherry-pick suitable fan works to be added to the series.
* TechnologyMarchesOn: Most of the stories take place in 2006 or 2007. Consequentially, iPhones (which came out in June 2007) and other similar devices are considered new and exciting technology to the layperson in-story.
* ThrowItIn: In "Ayla and the Birthday Brawl", when everyone was introducing themselves on the jet, the author accidentally skipped Tennyo. When this was pointed out on the forums, her reaction was "Oops. Just... uh, pretend she was having a shy-fit. Yeah." Later, when she was writing the scene from Aquerna's point of view for "Straight from the Squirrel's Mouth", she had Aquerna notice Tennyo slink back when her turn approached.
* TheWikiRule: The [[http://crystalhall.wikia.com/wiki/Whateley_Academy_Wiki Whateley Academy Wiki]]. Before that there was [[http://gemini.ralabs.com/userbible09xz/tiki-index.php The Whateley Bible]], but it's defunct now.