** In the fake trailers at the beginning of the movie, [[Film/IronMan Tony Stark]] and [[Film/SpiderManTrilogy Peter Parker]] as gay monks!
** "Dear Mr. Joe Queseda, boy do I have an idea for you..."
** Could also be an ActorAllusion to the relationship the two actors' characters had in [[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wonder_Boys_%28film%29 "Wonder Boys"]].
* AllStarCast: In-universe. The movie being filmed contains a comedy star, a high-profile rapper, an Academy Award winner and a former action hero. Of course, the real cast should not be counted out: Creator/BenStiller, Creator/RobertDowneyJr, Creator/JackBlack, Creator/TomCruise, Creator/JayBaruchel, Creator/NickNolte, Creator/MatthewMcConaughey, Danny [=McBride=] and Creator/SteveCoogan.
* CowboyBebopAtHisComputer: Almost all coverage of the film refers to Creator/JackBlack's character as Jeff "Fats" Portnoy as if "Fats" is Portnoy's InSeriesNickname; Fats is actually the name of Portnoy's ''character''.
* DirectedByCastMember: Creator/BenStiller. Made filming the movie a little complicated since it's about filming a movie within a movie.
* DyeingForYourArt: Parodied with Kirk having his skin dyed to become a sassy black sergeant. Alpa Chino, a real black man, is not amused.
* FakeAustralian: American Creator/RobertDowneyJr played an Australian who was playing an African American and even disguised himself as an Asian farmer. He's a dude playing a dude playing as a dude disguised as another dude. There's a reason he got an Oscar Nomination for this role.
** The Vietnamese cartel Chinese Dragon is lead by a Chinese-American and the second-in-command is Filipino-American.
* MemeticMutation: Several, though the most famous one is actually a case of BeamMeUpScotty.
* MethodActing: Kirk Lazarus undergoes surgery for a better ''racial'' resemblance and doesn't drop from character until he's done with the DVD commentaries.
* TheOtherMarty: Owen Wilson was originally set to play Tugg Speedman's agent, Rick Peck, but after his suicide attempt, he understandably backed out of the role. The role ended up going to MatthewMcConaughey.
* PlayingAgainstType: Creator/TomCruise in a fat suit and heavy make up that make him almost unrecognizable as a crass JerkAss film producer in a comedy film is probably one of the biggest examples of this trope in history.
* StarringAStarAsAStar: Movie stars Jack Black, Ben Stiller, and Robert Downey, Jr. play fictional movie stars Jeff Portnoy, Tugg Speedman, and Kirk Lazarus (with Portnoy as more of a wacky fart-joke comedy guy, Speedman as a monosyllabic actioner, and Lazarus as an Oscar-obsessed intensive method actor.)
* ThrowItIn: A few scenes just happened on its own.
** The scene that had Tugg talking to a flying mantis it flying in his face actually happened by accident.
** When Tugg nearly fell into the river while he was crossing alone, Ben Stiller really did trip.
** The dance sequence at the end came from Tom Cruise randomly deciding to start hip-hop dancing during a make-up test. The crew thought it was funny enough that they worked it into the script.
** Some improvisation was used for the real film's dialogue -- in fact, Kirk was written as ''Irish'', but Creator/RobertDowneyJr. found it easier to improvise with an Australian accent.
* UnintentionalPeriodPiece: Peck's obsession with TiVo.
** Peck was supposed to be played by Owen Wilson but he dropped out to seek treatment after a suicide attempt. Creator/BenStiller and Creator/TomCruise were also considered for the role of Peck.
** Creator/KeanuReeves was originally supposed to play Tugg, poking fun at the criticisms of his own inability to emote.
** The original draft of the movie was about a bunch of actors developing PTSD as a result of the pre-production boot camp necessary to make them into plausible soldiers for a war movie.
** W. Earl Brown was one of the first considerations for Portnoy, but he personally turned it down because he felt Jack Black fit the role better.
** Mos Def was offered the part of Alpa Chino, but turned it down. KevinHart was also considered.