* BlackSheepHit: "Pinball Wizard" was added to the album as an afterthought, supposedly to gain the favor of New York Times music critic Nik Cohn, who was noted to be a fan of pinball. (Cohn was apprehensive about an early draft of ''Tommy'', but when Pete suggested that Tommy would become famous as a pinball player, his opinion immediately improved.) Pete Townshend even admitted that it was "the most clumsy piece of writing I'd ever done"; he refused to believe there was ''any'' merit to it until the producer and the rest of the band said it sounded like a hit.
* BreakawayPopHit: "Pinball Wizard" served as this for both the original album and the 1975 film.
* ExecutiveMeddling: Ken Russell insisted on casting OliverReed in the movie, and consequently expanded his character's role to replace that of Tommy's father in the album.
* HeyItsThatVoice: On the Original Broadway Cast recording, Uncle Ernie is played by none other than the gypsy king [[Disney/TheHunchbackOfNotreDame Clopin]]. [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7WAqfGX4tc (Paul Kandel, to be more specific.)]]
* [[HeyItsThatGuy Hey, It's Those Guys!]]: Besides Elton and Nicholson, Tina Turner, OliverReed, Music/EricClapton, and Arthur Brown all make appearances. [[CreatorCameo John Entwistle and Pete Townshend even play themselves!]]
** TheCameo: Director Ken Russell has one as a cripple.
** Music/JohnLennon was one of the drivers of the cars that watch Tommy run during "I'm Free."
** Roger Daltrey was taught ''real'' sign language so that he would be able to use it in the gesture song scene in the film. Unfortunately (arguably due to some more ExecutiveMeddling), it ended up just being a ''parody'' of sign language instead.
** GeorgeLucas could've directed the movie. Yes, ''that'' [[Film/IndianaJones George]] [[Film/StarWars Lucas]]. He wasn't available due to working on AmericanGraffiti at the time he was asked.
** Rod Stewart could've been the Local Lad for the movie. He turned the role down after Elton John advised him not to take it (and after Elton had turned it down himself). Elton later said that Stewart never quite forgave him for that.
*** Some rumors have gone around about Music/TinyTim being considered for that role as well.
** Music/DavidBowie was considered for the role of the Acid Queen at some point.
** The whole thing was originally going to be about a girl who was reincarnated.