* CreatorBacklash: One of the reasons he retired was that he grew to despise touring to perform his songs.
** Among individual songs he wrote, ItSeemedLikeAGoodIdeaAtTheTime to him to write "The Old Dope Peddler"; in later years he would call it "chilling".
* CreatorBreakdown: The reason he stopped doing political satire was apparently because the politicians became too corrupt. He abandoned his singing career before RichardNixon was even President, and things haven't gotten better...
-->'''Lehrer:''' I don't want to satirize [[GeorgeWBush George [W.] Bush]] and his puppeteers. I want to ''vaporize'' them.
** That's part of the reason, but not the entire reason. There's also the fact that the political issues of later eras became much more complex, and it's hard to get good laughs out of a song that presents both sides of the issue. [[http://www.casualhacker.net/tom.lehrer/jmazner/lehrhtml.html Here]]'s a piece that has a lot more elaboration from Lehrer. That said, the devolution of politics certainly has not made Lehrer any more enthusiastic about the idea of writing music.
*** When an Australian magazine published an interview they conducted with Lehrer in 2003, the same interview in which he stated his desire to vaporize George W. Bush and his puppeteers, he later remarked,
---->'''Lehrer:''' Political satire became obsolete when Henry Kissinger was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize.
** According to the preface of one of his songbooks, "Well-wishers...are constantly suggesting hilarious subject matter, such as the Vietnam War, the gradual destruction of the environment, our recent presidents, etc. so that I have often felt like a resident of Pompeii who has been asked for some humorous comments on lava."
** Some do, however, hold out hope, that if PBS makes another educational children's show a-la TheElectricCompany or [[Series/SquareOneTV Square One Television]], Lehrer might agree to contribute a few [[AddedAlliterativeAppeal televisual tutorial tunes for tots]].
* ReclusiveArtist: Firmly retired to a life in academia, but has been willing enough to do the occasional interview over the years.
!![[Music/TomLehrer Mr. Lehrer]] provides the page quotes for:
* [[UsefulNotes/TheDragonsTeeth The Dragon's Teeth]]
* His own page, oddly enough
(Note: This list may not be complete. As you can see, he's ''quite'' popular on this wiki).