* BannedInChina: The film was banned in Finland for over twenty years.
** Banned in the U.K. for having [[Main/InsaneTrollLogic "Chain Saw" in the title.]]
** Italian, ''Non aprite quella porta'' (''Don't Open That Door'').
** Japanese, 悪魔のいけにえ (''Akuma no Ikenie''), ''Devil's Sacrifice''.
* EnforcedMethodActing: In the original when Pam is hung up on a meathook, the actress was held there by nylon rope tied in between her legs. The position ending up being ''extremely'' painful for the actress, and the screaming Pam does in the scene is in genuine pain.
** When Leatherface cuts Pam's finger so Grandpa can drink her blood, the device attached to the knife that was ''supposed'' to squirt stage blood broke. Gunnar Hansen, already breaking down from having to film the scene (see SanitySlippage), proceeded to cut her finger open for real in order to get the scene done.
* HeyItsThatVoice: The opening narration is voiced by John Larroquette (of ''Series/NightCourt'', ''Series/TheJohnLarroquetteShow'', and ''Series/BostonLegal'' fame). He did the opening narration of the remake as well.
* SanitySlippage: Happened ''for real'' while filming the infamous dinner scene. The food rotted under the filming lights, and created a horrific smell, combined with the one scene filmed for 27 straight hours in 110 degree weather that it actually drove the actors a bit nuts; the DVD commentary has Gunnar Hansen eerily recounting how he genuinely wanted to kill Marilyn Burns for a few seconds after being ordered to by his "brother." Vietnam veteran Edwin Neal (Hitchhiker) even describes it as worse than anything he went through during the war.
* UrbanLegends: A persistent urban legend is that the movie's popularity was due to including [[SubliminalSeduction subliminal messages]] telling viewers they loved the film.
* WorkingTitle: ''Leatherface'' and ''Head Cheese''.