** The film was banned in Finland for over twenty years.
** It was also banned in the UK for having [[Main/InsaneTrollLogic "Chain Saw" in the title]]. It was never on the official VideoNasties list, though it has at times been reported as such.
** Banned in Germany for 25 years, save for a heavily censored version that lacked 12 minutes of film. The ban was lifted in 2012 after a three-year lawsuit carried on by the new rights holder.
** Italian, ''Non aprite quella porta'' (''Don't Open That Door'').
** Japanese, 悪魔のいけにえ (''Akuma no Ikenie''), ''Devil's Sacrifice''.
* DuelingMovies: With ''Deranged: Confessions of a Necrophile'', another 1974 movie that was inspired by the [[https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ed_Gein Ed Gein case]] from the 1950s.
** For the scene where Pam was hung up on a meathook, Teri [=McMinn=] was held there by nylon rope tied between her legs. The position ending up being ''extremely'' painful for her, and the screaming Pam does in the scene is genuine pain on the part of Teri.
** When Leatherface cuts Sally's finger so Grandpa can drink her blood, the device attached to the knife that was ''supposed'' to squirt stage blood broke. Gunnar Hansen, already breaking down from having to film the scene (see SanitySlippage), proceeded to cut Marilyn Burns' finger open for real in order to get the scene done.
** Most of the actors didn't actually meet Gunnar Hansen, let alone see him in costume, before their first (which is also usually their last) scene with him. Additionally, there was only one Leatherface outfit and they didn't dare wash it, so Hansen was in the same outfit for weeks in hot Texas weather, making the other actors physically repulsed by his, um, aroma.
** The opening narration is voiced by John Larroquette (of ''Series/NightCourt'', ''Series/TheJohnLarroquetteShow'', and ''Series/BostonLegal'' fame). He did the opening narration of the remake as well.
** You'd think these people would know not to pick up a guy who sounds like [[Series/MightyMorphinPowerRangers Lord Zedd]].
* MeanCharacterNiceActor: In real life, Gunnar Hansen is regarded as an [[GentleGiant incredibly nice guy]].
* SanitySlippage / TroubledProduction: Happened ''for real'' while filming the infamous dinner scene. The food rotted under the filming lights and created a horrific smell, combined with that scene filming for 27 straight hours in 110 degree Texas weather, actually drove the actors a bit nuts. The DVD commentary has Gunnar Hansen eerily recounting how he genuinely wanted to kill Marilyn Burns for a few seconds after being ordered to by his "brother." Vietnam veteran Edwin Neal (Hitchhiker) even describes it as worse than anything he went through during the war.
* UrbanLegends: A persistent urban legend is that the movie's popularity was due to including [[SubliminalSeduction subliminal messages]] telling viewers they loved the film.
* WorkingTitle: ''Leatherface'' and ''Head Cheese''.