* AuthorExistenceFailure: Tolkien died before he could finish it. (But he spent years and years fiddling with the stories, so the published version is an editorial creation, assembling together various texts into a readable version that doesn't contradict itself.)
* DevelopmentHell: Tolkien began writing ''The Silmarillion'' during the FirstWorldWar and it was published only in 1977, over sixty years after its first conception.
** SavedFromDevelopmentHell: J.R.R.Tolkien worked on it from WWI to his death - over fifty years! - and it was published posthumously by his son Christopher in 1977. Most Tolkien fans agree it was definitely worth it.
* ExtremelyLengthyCreation: Tolkien started work on what would become this in 1914. After his death in 1973 it still wasn't finished. It was finally published in 1977 by his son Christopher.
* NamesTheSame: In RealLife, [[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ainu_people there is a culture of Edain called the Ainu]].
* WordOfSaintPaul: Christopher Tolkien's commentaries and edits on posthumous works. Also his version of the war between Doriath and the Dwarves, which his father never got around to writing.
!!Tropes inspired by this work:
** Music/BlindGuardian's ''Nightfall in Middle-earth'' is [[SugarWiki/AwesomeMusic a concept album]] based on the Silm.
** Epidemia's "FŽanor."