* AscendedGlitch: The Ghost of the Misery Mire from the original SNES version of Link to the Past returns, now as full-bodied shallow water Kus.
* CastingGag: Creator/AyumiFujimura goes from voicing Fi in ''[[VideoGame/TheLegendOfZeldaSkywardSword Skyward Sword]]'' to voicing Princess Zelda herself in this game.
* CheatedAngle: In order to emulate ''A Link to the Past'''s art style in 3D, namely the lack of perspective and characters being fully depicted from the side despite being seen from above, typical for most 2D top-down games, all assets in the game are actually tilted away from the camera. Since the camera always pans at the same angle, this trick is barely noticeable and surprisingly effective, as demonstrated [[http://nintendoenthusiast.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/link-between-worlds-tilted.jpg here]]. Interestingly, you can actually notice it if you wall-merge next to certain objects or set pieces, but it's only really noticeable if you're looking for it.
** [[spoiler:Yuganon]] for [[spoiler:the fusion between Yuga and Ganon.]]
** Ravioli for both Ravio and Ravio/Link's PortmanteauCoupleName.
** With the cel-shaded design being officially known as "Toon Link", some ''Smash Bros.'' fans have taken to calling the returning classic design "Classic Link".
* IKnewIt: In the August 7, 2013 Nintendo Direct video, Satoru Iwata confirmed the existence of the Dark Triforce fans had been speculating about since first seeing the logo. [[spoiler:However this only represents that their Triforce was destroyed. In intact form, it looks just like the normal Triforce except pointing down.]]
** [[spoiler:Hilda is indeed the BigBad, though she also has a HeelFaceTurn at the end.]]
** This is the first time that the Master Sword is part of the main plot in an original handheld title.
** This is the first game since the Oracle Series to take place in the Decline Timeline.
** This is the first game set in the Decline Timeline to feature the Hylian Shield and the Light Arrows.
* TalkingToHimself: Mitsuki Saiga voices both Link and Ravio. [[spoiler: Justified because they are [[AlternateSelf the same person, but from different worlds.]]]]
* DummiedOut: The similarities this game shares with its SNES predecessor are made even more apparent by the cut content. Several early models of areas exist within the game's files, all with similar layouts to the final game, but using SNES textures as placeholders.
* ModelDissonance: every single 3D model is [[http://nintendoeverything.com/nintendo-shows-its-trick-for-zelda-a-link-between-worlds-top-down-view/ made to lean backwards]] in order to mimic the effect of the IsometricProjection in ''VideoGame/TheLegendOfZeldaALinkToThePast''.
* WhatCouldHaveBeen: Nintendo was considering naming this game "[[Videogame/NewSuperMarioBros New Legend of Zelda]]"