See [[Trivia/TheHobbitFilmTrilogy here]] for trivia tropes related to the Creator/PeterJackson [[Film/TheHobbit film]].
* A [[https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBnVL1Y2src 1966 short film]] directed by Gene Deitch, made as an AshcanCopy (more info [[http://genedeitchcredits.com/40-william-l-snyder/ here]]). According to Deitch it was screened only once in June 1966 to an audience of about six people (to fulfill the part of the contract saying the film had to be shown in public). Despite being the ''only'' screen adaptation of Tolkien's work produced when he was still alive, he never saw it (leading Deitch to say [[CreatorBacklash "Thank God!"]]). The story included a Princess for Bilbo to romance, and discarded many basic elements of the story, such as the dwarves. Gandalf ceased to play a part after they depart for the Lonely Mountain. Characters were renamed (Trolls became Groans, Goblins = Grablins, Gollum = Guloom) and the dragon Slag (not Smaug) is dispatched by Bilbo, the Princess and her retainers.
* BreakthroughHit: The success of ''The Hobbit'' encouraged Creator/JRRTolkien to write a much larger novel about Middle-Earth, which turned out to be ''Literature/TheLordOfTheRings''.
* FilkSong: Creator/LeonardNimoy's [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGF5ROpjRAU "The Ballad of Bilbo Baggins"]].
* OffModel: Tolkien always had a specific design for Gollum in mind, and tried his best to write of that in the text. The way he looks in the Peter Jackson films (and most book printings from the 60s onward) is pretty much how everyone expects Gollum to look. However, in the earliest printings of the book, the illustrators hired had very different ideas for Gollum's appearance, so [[EarlyInstallmentWeirdness it can be strange to look through old printings]] and see Gollum [[https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/f8/30/fc/f830fcbc16fb7ba25c181971365ddb80.jpg looking like a strange yeti]] in one printing, while looking [[https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/08/8a/37/088a37bc9a0494a721c392b54a087d7d.gif eel-like in another.]]
* RecycledScript: In ''The History of the Hobbit'' it's pointed out that Thranduil the Elvenking and his hold in Mirkwood is closely derived from the original conception of Thingol of Doriath (Tinwelint of Aranor) -- which also [[FridgeBrilliance explains his distrust of dwarves]]. This isn't obvious to people who are only familiar with the published ''Silmarillion'', because the final version made Thingol and Doriath much richer and less earthy and sylvan. However, Tolkien added a DiscontinuityNod to this when ''Literature/TheSilmarillion'' does mention that Thranduil lived in Doriath in his youth and modelled his own kingdom in Mirkwood on it.
* ReferencedBy: The source code for Perl 5, which does quote ''Literature/TheLordOfTheRings'' many times, also quotes ''The Hobbit'' once, at the top of [[http://perl5.git.perl.org/perl.git/blob/HEAD:/numeric.c numeric.c]].
* WhatCouldHaveBeen: ''The History of the Hobbit'' is full of these. For example, the first draft sets the story in the time of ''Literature/TheSilmarillion'', Bilbo mentions China at one point, and Beorn was originally called Medwed (Russian for "bear"). Gandalf's name was originally to be "Bladorthin", Thorin's name was originally to be "Gandalf", Smaug was to be "Pryftan", and Bilbo's working name was "Bingo Baggins". Plot-wise, the most drastic change was about Smaug; specifically, that Bilbo killed him instead of Bard. The first time Bilbo infiltrated Smaug's lair, he would stab him through the bare spot in his chest with Sting (which went so deep it vanished completely), and then ''ride a golden bowl on the stream of blood pouring out of Smaug's wound'' before triumphantly exiting the mountain.
* HeyItsThatGuy: Plenty among the cast, including Brother Theodore (credited as just Theodore), John Huston, Otto Preminger, and Glenn Yarborough (sings "The Greatest Adventure"--he was later one of the West End [[ThePhantomOfTheOpera Phantoms]]).
** Where to begin? [[DudleyDoRight Snidely Whiplash]] (or [[http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Disney/PeterPan Captain Hook]], if you prefer) as Thorin, [[RockyAndBullwinkle Boris Badenov]] as Bombur; [[TheSmurfs Papa Smurf]] as Balin and Lord of the Eagles, [[TheFlintstones Mr. Slate]] as Bard the Bowman and the Great Goblin.
** As (largely) [[ParentalBonus Parental Bonuses]]: [[HaveGunWillTravel Paladin]] as Smaug; the crusty town shopkeeper from [[DrQuinnMedicineWoman Dr Quinn, Medicine Woman]] as Bilbo, and the bad guy from [[http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Film/Chinatown Chinatown]] as Gandalf.
** [[Creator/ThurlRavenscroft Tony the Tiger]], on [[IAmTheBand multiple tracks]] to provide the singing voices for both the Goblin horde and the dwarves.
* WordOfGod: The actor playing Azog and the Warg Matriarch have InterspeciesFriendship in real life.