See [[Trivia/TheHobbitFilmTrilogy here]] for trivia tropes related to the Creator/PeterJackson [[Film/TheHobbit film]].
* BreakthroughHit: The success of ''The Hobbit'' encouraged Creator/JRRTolkien to write a much larger novel about Middle-Earth, which turned out to be his MagnumOpus ''Literature/TheLordOfTheRings''.
* FilkSong: Creator/LeonardNimoy's [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGF5ROpjRAU "The Ballad of Bilbo Baggins"]].
* RecycledScript: In ''The History of the Hobbit'' it's pointed out that Thranduil the Elvenking and his hold in Mirkwood is closely derived from the original conception of Thingol of Doriath (Tinwelint of Aranor) -- which also [[FridgeBrilliance explains his distrust of dwarves]]. This isn't obvious to people who are only familiar with the published ''Silmarillion'', because the final version made Thingol and Doriath much richer and less earthy and sylvan. However, Tolkien added a DiscontinuityNod to this when ''TheSilmarillion'' does mention that Thranduil lived in Doriath in his youth and modelled his own kingdom in Mirkwood on it.
* ReferencedBy: The source code for Perl 5, which does quote ''Literature/TheLordOfTheRings'' many times, also quotes ''The Hobbit'' once, at the top of [[http://perl5.git.perl.org/perl.git/blob/HEAD:/numeric.c numeric.c]].
* WhatCouldHaveBeen: ''The History of the Hobbit'' is full of these. For example, the first draft sets the story in the time of ''Literature/TheSilmarillion'', Bilbo mentions China at one point, and Beorn was originally called Medwed (Russian for "bear"). Gandalf's name was originally to be "Bladorthin", Thorin's name was originally to be "Gandalf", Smaug was to be "Pryftan", and Bilbo's working name was "Bingo Baggins". Plot-wise, the most drastic change was about Smaug; specifically, that Bilbo killed him instead of Bard. The first time Bilbo infiltrated Smaug's lair, he would stab him through the bare spot in his chest with Sting (which went so deep it vanished completely), and then ''ride a golden bowl on the stream of blood pouring out of Smaug's wound'' before triumphantly exiting the mountain.
* HeyItsThatGuy: Plenty among the cast, including Brother Theodore (credited as just Theodore), John Huston, Otto Preminger, and Glenn Yarborough (sings "The Greatest Adventure"--he was later one of the West End [[ThePhantomOfTheOpera Phantoms]]).
** Where to begin? [[DudleyDoRight Snidely Whiplash]] (or [[http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Disney/PeterPan Captain Hook]], if you prefer) as Thorin, [[RockyAndBullwinkle Boris Badenov]] as Bombur; [[TheSmurfs Papa Smurf]] as Balin and Lord of the Eagles, [[TheFlintstones Mr. Slate]] as Bard the Bowman and the Great Goblin.
** As (largely) [[ParentalBonus Parental Bonuses]]: [[HaveGunWillTravel Paladin]] as Smaug; the crusty town shopkeeper from [[DrQuinnMedicineWoman Dr Quinn, Medicine Woman]] as Bilbo, and the bad guy from [[http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Film/Chinatown Chinatown]] as Gandalf.
** [[ThurlRavenscroft Tony the Tiger]], on [[IAmTheBand multiple tracks]] to provide the singing voices for both the Goblin horde and the dwarves.