* BilingualBonus: The "Guatemalan love song" that Jane Lynch sings had Spanish-speaking audiences laughing. It's not a love song.
* DawsonCasting; 19 year old Creator/KatDennings as 16 year old Marla.
** Inverted with 23 year old Creator/SethRogen as Cal who is implied to be much older.
* DyeingForYourArt: The chest-waxing scene? Yeah, one hundred percent real. ''Ouch.'' For the obvious reason, this was a one-take scene. In fact, at one point they almost ripped off Steve Carell's ''nipple'', because the actress playing the waxer didn't know she was supposed to apply Vaseline to the nipple and was about to rip off the strip when Judd Apatow realized what was happening and yelled cut. You can also see his blood starting to bubble out, as noted in the commentary.
* EnforcedMethodActing: See above.
* RealLifeRelative: Steve Carell's wife Nancy Walls plays the teen clinic sex counselor. Creator/LeslieMann, who plays Nicky, is married to Judd Apatow.
* StarMakingRole: For Steve Carell.
* ThrowItIn: All of Andy's exclamations during the waxing scene were improvised by Steve Carell out of the real pain he was going through. Apatow kept separate lists for profane and non-profane ones, so they could mix and match as they pleased.