* DirectedByCastMember: Creator/JonathanFrakes was already a popular director for ''TNG'' and ''Deep Space Nine'', and also did a few episodes for ''Voyager''.
* ExecutiveMeddling: Two positive ones:
** Ira Steven Behr insisted that the "tough little ship" exchange be added to the opening battle, so it was clear that the Defiant had survived and could still be used on ''Deep Space 9''.
** When discussing what the next TNG movie should be about writers Brannon Braga and Ronald D. Moore wanted to do a movie featuring the Borg while Producer Rick Berman wanted to do a time travel movie. Their solution? Do both!
* HeyItsThatGuy: [[ParksAndRecreation Ben Wyatt]] appears for all of 20 seconds as a bridge officer on the Defiant.
* HeyItsThatVoice: [[WesternAnimation/TheIncredibleHulk Bruce Banner]] is Lt. Hawk.
* OlderThanTheyThink: The concept of a Borg "Queen Bee" is an old one; it goes as far back as "The Best of Both Worlds". However, the writers decided that the Borg were so effective precisely ''because'' they lacked leadership. Thus, Picard (Locutus) became the "Queen Bee".
* TheOtherDarrin: James Cromwell replaces Glenn Corbett as Zefram Cochrane, who first appeared in the original series episode "[[Recap/StarTrekS2E9Metamorphosis Metamorphosis]]".
** A scene with [[Series/StarTrekDeepSpaceNine Sisko]] ordering Worf to command the ''Defiant'' in the battle was to be featured. It was filmed, but cut.
** Picard and Riker's roles were to be switched, and more emphasis was going to be placed on the Earth storyline. Part of the reasons for the switch were apparently because Patrick Stewart felt Picard should have more of an active role in defending the ''Enterprise'', while Jonathan Frakes wanted to have more time to focus on directing. Picard was also the one who had been assimilated by the Borg, so it made more sense for him to be the one to confront them.
** The Borg Queen wasn't in the early drafts of the script. They started to formulate the character when [[ExecutiveMeddling executive]] [[TropesAreNotBad script notes remarked]] that they were just cyber-zombies and the movie needed a more tangible villain.
** The ''Defiant'' was outright destroyed in one draft of the script. Unsurprisingly, the ''[=DS9=]'' staff objected to what effects this would create for their show, so it was changed. (Incidentally, the ship would be destroyed on ''[=DS9=]'', but not for another 2 and a half years.)
** Creator/TomHanks as Zefram Cochrane. "Life is like a box of Gagh..."