** Inverted - At one point, Lily calls Picard "[[Literature/MobyDick Captain Ahab]]" in reference to his personal vendetta against the Borg. Creator/PatrickStewart was so pleased with this scene that he went ahead and played Ahab in a made-for-TV movie version of ''Moby-Dick''.
** The ''Enterprise''[='=]s EMH program tells Dr. Crusher [[ImADoctorNotAPlaceholder "I'm a doctor, not a doorstop."]]. For his audition as the EMH on ''Series/StarTrekVoyager'', Robert Picardo had [[ThrowItIn ad-libbed]] the line "I'm a doctor, not a nightlight". While having ''no idea'' that was a famous line from the franchise.
** ActorAllusion: La Forge's exposition to Cochrane about how the whole launch site will become a museum and [[OurFounder Cochrane is standing where his statue is going to be]] [[ReadingRainbow sure channels his pre-TNG work]].
* BeamMeUpScotty: Picard actually misquotes ''Literature/MobyDick''. The change is obviously to simplify the text for modern audiences by putting it into more modern language. There are three possibilities: in the future, someone has revised one of the greatest novels of all time, Picard's exhausted and either misremembering or paraphrasing the quote, or Picard's [[TranslatorMicrobes translator]] gives it in modern English for Lily rather than the original language.
** '''Picard''': “And he piled upon the whale's white hump, the sum of all the rage and hate felt by his whole race. If his chest had been a cannon, he would have shot his heart upon it.”
** '''Original''': “He piled upon the whale's white hump the sum of all the general rage and hate felt by his whole race from Adam down; and then, as if his chest had been a mortar, he burst his hot heart's shell upon it.”
* DirectedByCastMember: Creator/JonathanFrakes was already a popular director for ''TNG'' and ''Deep Space Nine'', and also did a few episodes for ''Voyager''.
* ExecutiveMeddling: Two positive ones:
** Ira Steven Behr insisted that the "tough little ship" exchange be added to the opening battle, so it was clear that the Defiant had survived and could still be used on ''Deep Space 9''.
** When discussing what the next TNG movie should be about writers Brannon Braga and Ronald D. Moore wanted to do a movie featuring the Borg while Producer Rick Berman wanted to do a time travel movie. Their solution? Do both!
* HeyItsThatGuy: [[ParksAndRecreation Ben Wyatt]] appears for all of 20 seconds as a bridge officer on the Defiant.
** [[Series/That70sShow Bob Pinciotti]] is Nicky the Nose in the Dixon Hill program.
* HeyItsThatVoice: [[WesternAnimation/TheIncredibleHulk Bruce Banner]] is Lt. Hawk.
* TheOtherDarrin: James Cromwell replaces Glenn Corbett as Zefram Cochrane, who first appeared in the original series episode "[[Recap/StarTrekS2E9Metamorphosis Metamorphosis]]".
* RecycledSet: Aside from exceptions like the Bridge and Engineering, most of the ''Enterprise''-E's sets are actually modified versions of ''Series/StarTrekVoyager'''s sets. It's particularly obvious in Sickbay, whose layout is almost unchanged.
** A scene with [[Series/StarTrekDeepSpaceNine Sisko]] ordering Worf to command the ''Defiant'' in the battle was to be featured. It was filmed, but cut.
** Picard and Riker's roles were to be switched, and more emphasis was going to be placed on the Earth storyline. Part of the reasons for the switch were apparently because Patrick Stewart felt Picard should have more of an active role in defending the ''Enterprise'', while Jonathan Frakes wanted to have more time to focus on directing. Picard was also the one who had been assimilated by the Borg, so it made more sense for him to be the one to confront them. According to Braga and Moore's commentary, the Enterprise plot was mostly unchanged but the Earth-based story was completely altered. Also Lily (who was called Ruby in the early script) would have stayed on Earth with Picard in the original story.
** The Borg Queen wasn't in the early drafts of the script. They started to formulate the character when [[ExecutiveMeddling executive]] [[TropesAreNotBad script notes remarked]] that they were just cyber-zombies and the movie needed a more tangible villain.
** The ''Defiant'' was outright destroyed in one draft of the script. Unsurprisingly, the ''[=DS9=]'' staff objected to what effects this would create for their show, so it was changed. (Incidentally, the ship would be destroyed on ''[=DS9=]'', but not for another 2 and a half years.)
** Creator/TomHanks as Zefram Cochrane. "Life is like a box of Gagh..."
** The ''Enterprise''-E was originally planned to be another ''Galaxy''-class--they even built a GCS model painted with the letters NCC-1701-E--but decided later to go with the more aggressive-looking ''Sovereign''-class.