* ActorAllusion: When Spider-Man breaks Eddie Brock's (played by Topher Grace) camera for no reason (at least from Eddie's point of view) the latter calls him out with a "What the ''hell''!?" This was a pretty regular reaction by [[Series/That70sShow Eric Foreman]] whenever one of his friends also pulled a seemingly unprovoked dick move.
* CastingGag: In this film, Mary Jane, a redhead is played by natural blonde Creator/KirstenDunst, whereas Gwen Stacy, a blonde, is played by natural redhead Bryce Dallas Howard (daughter of Creator/RonHoward)
* DeletedRole: Adrian Lester filmed a cameo as a scientist that Marko visits that was cut.
* DeletedScene: Part of the scene where Peter looks at his reflection in a mirror after returning to his apartment after seemingly killing the Sandman was cut. The cut segmentwould have shown Peter looking down at the Black Suit under his clothes, then looking up to see his reflection as Venom, which explains him locking the Black Suit away immediately afterwards with an alarmed expression on his face. The Venom model that was used harkened back to the character's original appearance, without fangs or distorted eyes.
* ExecutiveMeddling: The reason Venom and Gwen are in it (though Eddie Brock was always planned, just not his alter-ego).
** Venom and the entire symbiote arc weren't supposed to be in the movie at all. Instead Sandman was supposed to team up with Vulture, who would be his cellmate that vowed revenge against Spidey after being busted by him. Vulture was supposed to be played by Creator/BenKingsley. Also, rather than being forced to break up by Harry, Peter and MJ would break up naturally after several bad decisions by both. However, studio executives forced Creator/SamRaimi to bring in Venom, a character he was both unfamiliar with and uninterested in, because they thought the character would get more money from audiences. This interference lasted throughout the entire production, leading to several deleted scenes like Harry being talked out of his revenge by Mary Jane rather than his butler, Gwen being kidnapped since Eddie is convinced Peter loves her rather than MJ being kidnapped yet again, Sandman's daughter showing up and talking him out of the final fight, Eddie actually seeing Marko's situation with his daughter rather than knowing it out of nowhere, and others. This meddling is also the reason why a ''Spider-Man 4'' was never made. Raimi and executives just could not agree on a script that would satisfy both parties, so Raimi left.
** Creator/KirstenDunst only agreed to reprise her role in the 3rd film on the condition that Mary Jane would not end up as the DamselInDistress. [[BlatantLies Executives agreed]]. MJ was originally going to have a more proactive role in the film's climax (Gwen was going to be the damsel while MJ would be the one to talk Harry into helping and forgiving Peter; her lines from this scene remained in the trailer). When the plans changed, they made sure MJ was an ActionSurvivor during this particular distress as means of making it up to an upset Dunst. Throwing a cinderblock at Venom was [[ThrowItIn thrown in]], they let her jump and swing on hanging webs herself before needing to ultimately get saved, and any of MJ's screams during the scene (Peter's too, for that matter) were recycled audio. On the audio commentary, Raimi tells a rough story of coming to the process that in order to finish the movie on time, they had to put MJ in danger, which not only angered himself for reneging on his promise to Dunst before production started that he wouldn't, but that summoning the courage to tell her was one of the hardest things he's ever done in his long time in the business.
* FranchiseKiller: For Creator/SamRaimi's ''Film/SpiderManTrilogy''. The whole reason Raimi left the proposed ''Spider-Man 4'' (which, in turn, ended up getting it cancelled) was because he didn't feel as though he could make that film ''not'' like this one within the given amount of time.
* NovelizationFirst: And there are a good many who feel it's superior to the actual film!
* ScheduleSlip: There was only a 2-year gap between ''Film/SpiderMan'' (2002) and ''Film/SpiderMan2'' (2004). This movie was slated for May 2006, but was pushed back to May 2007, presumably to avoid competition with ''Film/XMenTheLastStand'' and ''Film/SupermanReturns''
** The Vulture (who would've been played by Creator/BenKingsley) was originally going to be one of the main villains and would play the FinalBoss role that Venom ended up playing. He was ultimately decided against since his role had no meaningful personal connection to the hero at all: he was merely Flint Marko's cellmate who hated Spider-Man for putting him in jail to begin with. Kingsley of course would later play a [[spoiler: decoy]] supervillain in ''Film/IronMan3'', making this slightly HilariousInHindsight.
** Spider-Man's symbiote suit was originally going to look identical to the one in the comics, being made of black latex. However, Creator/SamRaimi thought it looked too much like a gimp suit and opted to go with a black and silver version of Spider-Man's original costume.
** In the first trailers revealing his presence in the movie, Venom looked a lot more similar to his classic comic book portrayal, but was later changed to match his appearance in the film.
** Neither Venom nor Gwen Stacy were present in the original planning packet, with a random woman serving the role Gwen later took.
** Also, ''Gwen'' was originally going to be kidnapped for the final battle, not Mary Jane; Mary Jane would have talked sense into Harry instead of Harry's butler. A line Mary Jane said for this scene was actually used in the trailer: "We've all done terrible things to each other, but we have to learn to forgive each other or else everything we ever were will have meant nothing."
** A scene with Eddie Brock coming to the Stacy's front porch and begging Gwen to take him back was actually filmed but not included in the final version, mainly since it connects with Gwen being the kidnap victim in the end, which was also cut.
** An entire ''character'', a doctor whom Marko strongarms into helping find a cure for his daughter (played by Adrian Lester), ended up on the cutting room floor, even though he had evidently filmed several scenes. Ouch!
** Creator/WillemDafoe filmed several scenes as Harry's hallucination, but in the final movie only has one.
** Creator/ElishaCuthbert and Creator/ScarlettJohansson were considered for Gwen Stacy. Scarlett would, of course, go on to play [[ComicBook/BlackWidow a different Marvel character]] who meets [[Film/CaptainAmericaCivilWar a different Spidey]].
** The scene where Marko meets Eddie was quite different from the "90's Batman" villain team-up that was shown. After seeing Flint pretending to be sand in a park's playground for his little girl to play on, Eddie comes up and talks to him, and convinces him that his girl may be cured yet, and he will help him get the cash if Flint helps him take on Spider-Man. Images of this park scene being filmed actually exist. This, followed by him learning from his daughter that she is irrevocably sick and just wants to die with her dad a good man, makes his HeelFaceTurn at the end, and Peter forgiving him, much more credible and poignant. These scenes most likely ''were'' considered, at least somewhere along the line - they were, after all, used in the Creator/PeterDavid novelisation in lieu of what the movie actually gave us. Though the novelisation presents Peter and Flint making amends partway through the battle, while the film shows it ''after'' Venom is defeated, and it's really up to the audience to decide which is better (since stopping a big climactic action sequence so that characters to clear things up is pretty hard to pull off in a film). Both exist in some form, at least.
** It is also rumored that John Jameson was originally to have an appearance, unknowingly bringing the symbiote back from his astronaut mission like he has in two [[WesternAnimation/SpiderManTheAnimatedSeries other]] [[WesternAnimation/TheSpectacularSpiderMan adaptations.]]
** It is also rumored that J. Jonah Jameson hired Eddie Brock to spy on Peter, after MJ walked out on his son.