* ActorAllusion: Once again, Creator/CharlieSheen [[Series/TwoAndAHalfMen plays a man with a loser of a younger brother.]]
* BillingDisplacement: From some of the trailers and the poster for the fifth film you'd think Creator/CharlieSheen was the star when he has only a few moments of screentime in the cold opening (along with Creator/LindsayLohan). Sarah Hyland is a OneSceneWonder and Katrina Bowden a mere bit player but both appear prominently in the poster but probably the biggest example is Mike Tyson who also gets featured despite only having a 30 second long cameo.
* CreatorBacklash: The Wayans Brothers aren't too fond of the second film, which was very hurriedly written when Dimension Films demanded a quick sequel. Similarly, David Zucker has admitted that the fifth film ended up being a complete disaster.
* DawsonCasting: Creator/AnnaFaris was in her early twenties when she played Cindy Campbell, who is supposed to be a high school student in the first film.
* DevelopmentHell: The fifth film was in development hell for several years, with one of the potential scripts instead being turned into ''Film/SuperheroMovie'', and a ContinuityReboot of the series being considered at one point. ''Scary Movie 5'' was eventually released in April 2013, only to end up being so poorly received that a reboot probably ''will'' be necessary to continue the series.
* DuelingMovies: For some reason, a group of other filmmakers had the same idea to make a slasher spoof around the time of the first ''Scary Movie'', called ''Film/ShriekIfYouKnowWhatIDidLastFridayTheThirteenth''. To avoid lawsuits due to the similarities, it was delayed and released direct-to-video. ''Scary Movie'' wound up being more commercially successful, better known, and somewhat better received than ''Shriek''.
* DyeingForYourArt: Anna Faris is naturally a blonde. She died her hair black for ''Scary Movie'' so that she would more closely resemble Neve Campbell.
* [[HarsherInHindsight Harsher]] / HilariousInHindsight: the alternate ending to Scary Movie 2 where [[spoiler: all the characters except Cindy are KilledOffForReal]].
* KeepCirculatingTheTapes: The theatrical cut of the first film contains dialogue that was cut from the home video version as the film's producers felt the film's skewering of Gwyneth Paltrow was more of an attack than in jest. The only way you can hear this dialogue is in bootlegs of the rough cut or theatrical cut.
* LyingCreator: The tagline of the first movie was "No mercy. No shame. No sequel." The tagline for the second was "[[ILied We lied]]."
* TheOtherMarty: ''[[Creator/MarlonBrando Marlon freakin' Brando]]'' agreed to play Father [=McFeely=] in ''Scary Movie 2'' and even began filming his scenes. Unfortunately he was too sick to finish the role and was replaced by James Woods. To date, none of his footage has been released.
** The wrecked plane set from ''Scary Movie 4'' was originally used in the movie they were parodying, ''Film/TheWarOfTheWorlds''.
** The ''Film/SawI'' parody bathroom was later used by the producers of ''Film/SawIII'' in their movie to save money.
* StarMakingRole: For Anna Faris.
** A big problem with ''Scary Movie 2'', even taking into account the fact that spoof movies generally don't age too well. In addition to the film featuring a lot of spoofs of adverts and music videos from 2000--2001 (which are a lot less likely to be remembered than films from the same time period), most of the films being spoofed got horrible critical receptions and were quickly forgotten, which hurts the film quite badly these days. The second movie also contains a reference to then popular, but now mostly-forgotten game show ''The Weakest Link''.
** ''Scary Movie 4'' suffers from this to some extent, as a result of a lot of references to pop cultural things that are now mostly forgotten or considered outdated, such as Website/MySpace and the original iPod. Fortunately, most of the films being spoofed are still well-remembered and well-regarded (with the arguable exception of ''Film/TheGrudge'' and ''Film/TheVillage''), so the film doesn't feel quite as dated overall.
** Creator/KevinSmith was in talks to write and direct ''Scary Movie 3'' at one point...
** ...but then again, so were [[Creator/SeltzerAndFriedberg Aaron Seltzer and Jason Friedberg]]. And their proposed screenplay wouldn't even have parodied horror films, but rather ''Franchise/HarryPotter'', ''Literature/TheLordOfTheRings'' and ''Franchise/StarWars''. Say what you like about David Zucker's version of the film, but we probably dodged a major bullet there.
** The original script for ''Scary Movie 4'', focusing on superhero movies, was later filmed (albeit heavily rewritten) as ''Film/SuperheroMovie''.
** Brenda was originally intended as a LoveInterest for Shorty, before they were rewritten as siblings. Included on the Deleted Scenes of the DVD.
** There's an alternate ending to the second film where, after defeating Caine's ghost, [[spoiler: Father [=McFeely=] shows up and reveals that Cindy is the SoleSurvivor of the group who all ascend to heaven... then says he must [[ToiletHumor bless the house]].]]