** Akihiro Miwa is a male who voices the female Moro in the Japanese version. He also had a career as a female impersonator.
** Gillian Anderson was famous for playing the TropeNamer and TropeCodifier of AgentScully. So who does she voice in the English dub? A wolf spirit.
** The English dub is ''made'' of this. Creator/BillyCrudup, Creator/ClaireDaines, Creator/GillianAnderson, Creator/MinnieDriver, Creator/BillyBobThornton, Creator/JadaPinkettSmith, and Creator/KeithDavid, among others.
** The original Japanese version is an interesting case: This is the first Ghibli movie that doesn't use professional voice actors for the main characters, relying entirely on celebrities for them. The only known professional with a named role in the movie is Creator/SumiShimamoto as Toki, Lady Eboshi's servant.
* CrossDressingVoices: Moro is voiced by a man in the Japanese version. This comes from Japanese mythology which says that wolves are always male-voiced (and cats always female-voiced), regardless of sex.
* ExecutiveMeddling: Thankfully averted, as opposed to earlier efforts to adapt Miyazaki's films into English. Miramax (read: the Weinstein brothers) wanted to cut 20 minutes from the English release, which was explicitly forbidden by the Disney/Ghibli distribution agreement. When Studio Ghibli producer Toshio Suzuki found this out after a very successful screening for the New York Film Critics Circle, he allegedly sent the Miramax executives a katana with a note attached: "No cuts."
* ExtremelyLengthyCreation: [[HayaoMiyazaki Miyazaki]] took 16 years to fully develop the characters and plot of the film.
* KeepCirculatingTheTapes: Disney's sale of Miramax was in the way of any possible re-release in America for several years. Miramax's rights lapsed at some point and Disney re-issued the film (officially re-printing the original DVD release from Buena Vista Home Entertainment re-badged in Disney's Ghibli package design) in 2012.
* LastOfItsKind: This is Studio Ghibli's final film to be drawn & colored on plastic cels, and is often thought to be the last cel-animated film in the world chronologically. After ''Mononoke'', Studio Ghibli switched to digital animation because cel animation had become too financially impractical.
* SoMyKidsCanWatch: Billy Bob Thornton explains on the DVD that this is part of the reason he took the part of Jigo. [[WhatDoYouMeanItsNotForKids Unfortunately...]]
** The earliest concepts Miyazaki had that involved a Mononoke spirit was actually his re-telling of Beauty and the Beast.
** Leonardo [=DiCaprio=] was considered to voice Ashitaka in the English dub. Possible CastingGag since Claire Danes was the voice of San, which would have made this the [[Film/WilliamShakespearesRomeoAndJuliet second time]] they had been StarCrossedLovers.