** As with all Ghibli films since 1997, several famous actors and comedians provide several roles in the film, such as Tomoko Yamaguchi, George Tokoro, Kazushige Nagashima, Yuki Amami, Tomoko Naraoka, and Kazuko Yoshiyuki.
** While Disney has always been able to find a few famous actors to do the English dubs of Ghibli films and ''VideoGame/KingdomHearts'', this movie seriously takes the cake. With a cast including Creator/MattDamon, Creator/TinaFey, Creator/CateBlanchett, Creator/LiamNeeson, Creator/BettyWhite, Creator/LilyTomlin, and Cloris Leachman.
* ApprovalOfGod: Creator/HayaoMiyazaki was impressed by the film's English dub.
* ChildrenVoicingChildren: Ponyo and Sosuke are voiced by actual young children.
* DoingItForTheArt: Pretty much a given with [[Creator/HayaoMiyazaki Miyazaki]] films, but impressive even by his standards--no CGI was used during this film, at ''all''.
* PromotedFanboy: Fujimoto's English VA Creator/LiamNeeson was familiar with Miyazaki's works before he was cast.
* RealitySubtext: Miyazaki made ''Ponyo'' as a means of trying to reconcile with his estranged son (the one who directed ''Anime/TalesFromEarthsea''). Throughout the film, Sosuke and his father are separated.
* RealLifeRelative: Creator/JoeHisaishi's daughter Mai sings vocals on several cues of the film's score. Mai even sang the image song "Rondo of the House of Sunflowers".
* SoMyKidsCanWatch: For the English dub, Megan Marshall, the daughter of the English version's executive producers Frank Marshall and Kathleen Kennedy, suggested that Frankie Jonas and Norah Cyrus should play Sosuke and Ponyo, respectively.