** AFIS100Years100Movies: #83
** AFIS100Years100Thrills: #72
** AFIS100Years100Movies10ThAnniversaryEdition: #86
* BackedByThePentagon: Averted[=/=]Defied. The military refused to have anything to do with this film.
* [[BannedInChina Banned in Vietnam and Malaysia]]: The former for having the American soldiers destroy a village. The latter for its excessive profanity and violence.
* DeletedScene: [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iO7KuOLVMk0 Here]], complete with an alternate ending where [[spoiler:Barnes lives]].
* DoingItForTheArt: This movie was Creator/OliverStone's dream project.
* EnforcedMethodActing: This was the first film where the actors had to go through basic training similar to the real military to get them into character and act like real soldiers. Dale Dye actually approached Creator/OliverStone with the idea after being unsatisfied with the depiction of soldiers in previous war films and trained them himself. The success eventually led to him becoming the go to professional for actors' boot camps.
* StarMakingRole: This is what basically launched Creator/CharlieSheen's career, after a couple of memorable smaller roles. He lampoons his role in this movie in ''Film/HotShotsPartDeux'' (along with his dad Creator/MartinSheen for ''Film/ApocalypseNow''), "I loved you in ''Film/WallStreet''!"