* CaliforniaDoubling: Shot on the only street in Los Angeles which could pass for Manhattan. Though the effect is blown in long shots, when you can see the skyscrapers ending after a few blocks. Also, given the address where the phone booth supposedly is, he should be basically across the street from Studio 54.
* DeletedRole: Creator/JaredLeto had a cameo an actor in a theater production of "Drockula". He and Stu have a quick scene in an alley. The scene was deleted from the film, but restored when the film was aired on television.
* DevelopmentHell: The film's road from inception to release took nearly ''forty years'' (including a two and a half year period between production and release). The story idea had been around for long, that Creator/AlfredHitchcock(!) was initially attached to direct the film in the late 60's. The two and a half year pause between production and release was more bad luck than anything else. The original release date just happened to be around the same time as the D.C. Sniper killings, and the producers wisely decided to put some distance between that.
* EnforcedMethodActing: None of the extras were given instructions on what was happening, just that they should react accordingly. All of their reactions to shots being fired (and Stu's [[TearJerker confession]]) are genuine.
* FakeAmerican: Irishman Creator/ColinFarrell and Australian Creator/RadhaMitchell, as well as Canadian Creator/KieferSutherland.
* TheOtherMarty: Creator/KieferSutherland's scenes were initially shot with Ron Eldard. Eldard's scenes were replaced after he didn't test well with the audience and studio.
* TooSoon: Mentioned above, the film's release was delayed by two months due to the DC Sniper Killings.
* UnintentionalPeriodPiece: ''Phone Booth'' was released just as the last phonebooths in New York City were beginning to be removed. Even five years later, the plot would have been impossible.
** Creator/MichaelBay considered directing. When he met with the writer and producers, the first thing he asked was "How can we get him out of the phone booth?"
** Creator/MelGibson was set to star and even gave screenwriter some helpful suggestions that wound up in the film, but he eventually backed out.
** At one point, Creator/JimCarrey reportedly showed interest in the lead role.
** Creator/WillSmith was attached to star at one point.
** Creator/MarkWahlberg turned down the role of Stu in order to star in ''Film/PlanetOfTheApes2001''.