* TechnologyMarchesOn: The British police investigating the attack on the royals are quite impressed by Jack's "Cambridge Datamaster Model-C Field Computer", which has ''two megabytes'' of memory. Well, it ''is'' pretty impressive for 1983.
** Jack Ryan is seen crossing Hanover Street. ''Hanover Street'' is the title of another novel made into a movie starring Creator/HarrisonFord.
** The scene in which Ryan zooms in on and analyses different parts of the satellite photograph is a ShoutOut to ''Film/BladeRunner''.
* BackedByThePentagon: The CIA scenes were filmed at the actual CIA headquarters; this was the first time the CIA had ever done such a thing.
** Creator/SeanBean as Sean Miller.
** A surname example: Creator/SamuelLJackson as Robbie Jackson.
* DisownedAdaptation: Creator/TomClancy was very unhappy with the numerous changes the film made from the original novel. He also felt that the 49-year-old Creator/HarrisonFord was too old to play the 31-year-old Jack Ryan.
* FakeIrish: Only three actors in ''Film/PatriotGames'' were actually Irish: Creator/RichardHarris, Patrick Bergin and Jonathan Ryan. This means all of the other Irish characters were this. Englishwoman Polly Walker plays the IRA terrorist Annette, though it is revealed in film that Annette is British-born (presumably of Irish ancestry).
* MissingTrailerScene: The line "There's never been a terrorist attack on American soil" was included in trailers for movie, but was left out of theatrical release because it sounded too much like an invitation or dare.
* OldShame: Alun Armstrong is said to be embarrassed by his involvement with the film.
** Creator/HarrisonFord takes over the role of Jack Ryan from Creator/AlecBaldwin. Ford had been considered to play Ryan in ''Film/TheHuntForRedOctober'' before Baldwin was cast.
** Creator/AnneArcher replaces Creator/GatesMcFadden as Cathy Ryan, due to her commitment to ''Series/StarTrekTheNextGeneration''.
** The only returning castmember is Creator/JamesEarlJones.
* PlaneSpotting: A pair of [[EveryHelicopterIsAHuey Hueys]] appear during the SAS raid ([[JustPlaneWrong despite the Brits never flying Hueys]]). The Libyan camp scenes feature what appear to be the much more rarely seen Sikorski H-34s.
* ShoutOut: One of the villains [[spoiler: while waiting for his assassin]] is watching ''Harry's Game'', a miniseries about a British Army officer undercover in the IRA. The main score can be heard in the background during the scene.
** The final battle was originally supposed to have Ryan and Miller fighting on large rocks in the middle of the stormy sea. The fight would end with Miller drowning. Test audiences weren't excited with this conclusion, so the final battle was changed to a boat chase instead.
** Creator/PetePostlethwaite was offered the role of Owens but he was working on another American film at the time.
** Creator/AlecBaldwin was offered the role of Jack Ryan again, but decided to do a play instead.
** Creator/SylvesterMcCoy was considered for the role of Cooley.