* ActorAllusion: Vijay plays tennis on his spare time and fights off some goons with a tennis racquet. He's played by a tennis player. This leads to a VisualPun of an Indian crowd watching Vijay fighting with the tennis racket as if they were watching a tennis match.
* CaliforniaDoubling: Kent doubles for Cuba in TheTeaser. In fact, this was the site where Fort Knox was built for ''Film/Goldfinger''.
* ComicBookAdaptation: MarvelComics adapted the film as a one-off ''Marvel Super Special'' magazine.
* CreatorCameo: Producer Michael G. Wilson appears as a member of the Soviet Politburo at the beginning of the film.
* TheDanza: Bond's ally Vijay, an amateur tennis player, is played by...tennis pro Vijay Amritraj.
* DuelingMovies: With Creator/SeanConnery's ''Film/NeverSayNeverAgain''. Neither film really wowed critics or topped the box office. ''Octopussy'' won by a tight margin.
** Kamal Khan, the exiled Afghan prince, is played by French actor Louis Jourdan.
** English actor Steven Berkoff and German actor Creator/WalterGotell [[FakeRussian play Russians]]. Swedish actress Maud Adams plays [[FakeBrit an Englishwoman]].
* ThrowItIn: The bicyclist seen passing in the middle of a sword fight during the tuk tuk chase sequence was in fact a bystander who passed through the shot, oblivious to the filming; his intrusion was captured by two cameras and left in the final film.
* WhatCouldHaveBeen: Moore was considering stepping down from the role following ''Film/ForYourEyesOnly'', and EON were looking to recast, even toying with the idea of casting an American (James Brolin, who screen-tested three times) as Bond. However, when the rival "unofficial" film ''Film/NeverSayNeverAgain'' starring Creator/SeanConnery was announced to release around the same time as ''Octopussy'', EON decided to stick with Moore, feeling that pitting a new, untested Bond actor against a juggernaut like Connery would be a horrible move. It paid off, as while both films were successful, ''Octopussy'' beat ''NSNA'' at the box office.
** Creator/FayeDunaway was considered for Octopussy, but was deemed too expensive.
** Creator/RutgerHauer was considered for General Orlov.
** Maud Adams had previously played Andrea Anders in ''Film/TheManWithTheGoldenGun''.
** M is played by Robert Brown, who previously played Admiral Hargreaves in ''Film/TheSpyWhoLovedMe''.
** Albert Moses, who plays Sadruddin, previously played a bartender in ''The Spy Who Loved Me''.