'''Film Version (1956)'''
* Orson Welles was actually battling depression at the time of filming, and had to be coached through his lines by director John Huston
* PlayingAgainstType: The primary reason that the 1956 version wasn't well-receieved initially was that audiences weren't comfortable seeing Gregory Peck as a villainous character (albeit an AntiVillain). Patrick Stewart and William Hurt faced no such problems.
* WhatCouldHaveBeen: William Holden and Robert Mitchum were both pitched as possible alternatives to play Ahab, as they didn't think Gregory Peck was capable of playing a villainous character. Interestingly enough, Peck himself thought that director John Huston would have made the perfect Ahab.
'''TV Version (1998)'''
* HeyItsThatGuy: Ahab is [[Series/StarTrekTheNextGeneration Captain Jean-Luc Picard]] and Ishmael is played by [[Film/ETTheExtraTerrestrial Elliot]]!
'''TV Version (2011)'''
* BillingDisplacement: Ethan Hawke was billed over William Hurt for playing Starbuck.