%% ZeroContextExample entries are not allowed on wiki pages. All such entries have been commented out. Please add context to the entries before uncommenting them.
* AcclaimedFlop: Subverted. The overseas UsefulNotes/PlayStationPortable versions of the game didn't sell well at all. Its inclusion in the ''Metal Gear Solid: HD Collection'' [[VindicatedByHistory gave it a much wider audience]].
* CastingGag: In ''VideoGame/MetalGearSolid'', [[spoiler:Liquid Snake was voiced by Creator/CamClarke, making him a FakeBrit for the role, while Liquid, in turn, impersonated the American Kazuhira Miller]]. In ''Peace Walker'', Miller is a FakeAmerican, as he's voiced by Creator/RobinAtkinDownes, a ''real'' Brit.
** The Japanese version of the game had to edit its torture scene to utilizing "Laughing Rods" instead of shock rods because of the censors demanding they do so to maintain their "C" rating (ages 15 and up).[[note]]Had to do with the CERO policy that depictions of violence against a restrained person will bump the rating to around D and companies prefer to have the A rating if possible.[[/note]]
** In North America and Europe, some items had to be changed because they were real world products.[[note]]Even though one of the products, Pepsi NEX, was not actually available outside Japan anyhow.[[/note]]
* EnforcedMethodActing: Creator/DavidHayter said that he actually vomited in the sound booth in order to produce some of Snake's choking sound effects for the game (Kojima Productions Report Session 117).
* FakeNationality: Due to the "independent from any nation" spirit of the Militaires Sans Frontières, the fake accents vary:
** British-born Creator/RobinAtkinDownes uses his FakeAmerican accent to voice the Japanese-American Kazuhira Miller.
** Canadian Creator/TaraStrong voiced the Costa Rican Paz Ortega Andrade. [[spoiler:She also uses a pseudo-Russian accent for Pacifica Ocean.]]
** American Vanessa Marshall voiced the British Dr. Strangelove.
** American Creator/CatherineTaber voiced the Parisian ornithologist Cécile Cosima Caminades. As a result, when her character had to actually speak French, she would simply sound like an American woman attempting French.
** American Music/GreyDeLisle voiced the Nicaraguan Amanda Valenciano Libre.
* FanNickname: "Zadoorknob" for Zadornov.
** Thanks to a few bits of dialog towards the end of the game, many people suspected that [[spoiler:Strangelove would become Huey's first wife and Otacon's mother]] long before it was confirmed in ''VideoGame/MetalGearSolidVThePhantomPain''.
** [[spoiler: "So wait, at the "endgame" the question of the discrepancy between Cécile and Paz's stories concerning their capture by the CIA and the origin of the tape Vladimir Zadornov used to assure Big Boss's involvement still hasn't been answered? One of them isn't telling the truth... now which one is the ''least'' likely to be a traitor...?"]]
* InMemoriam: ''Peace Walker'' was dedicated to Project Itoh, author of the ''Guns of the Patriots'' novelization, who died before ''Peace Walker'' was released due to a long struggle with cancer. He was working on novelizations for ''Metal Gear Solid 3'' and ''Peace Walker'' prior to his death.
* RelationshipVoiceActor: Both Akio Ohtsuka and Mugihito, the respective Japanese voice actors of Snake/Big Boss and Hot Coldman, had also voiced and interacted with each other in ''[[VideoGame/MegaManX Mega Man X 7]]'', playing Red and Sigma.
* TalkingToHimself: In the English version, the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs and the Deputy Secretary of Defense are both voiced by J. Grant Albrecht.
* TeasingCreator: The only possible explanation for the two "date" missions. Creator/HideoKojima is laughing at all of us. Fortunately, we can laugh along with him.
** Kojima originally had no intention to direct ''Peace Walker''. He intended to write only a rough outline of the game's plot and leave the rest to his younger staff, much like he did with the previous PSP games in the series, the ''Acid'' series and ''Portable Ops'', but he changed his mind when his younger staff did not understand the story's theme of nuclear deterrence.
** A dinosaur version of Metal Gear RAY, named Gear RAY, was supposed to appear alongside Gear REX during the Hunting Quests.
** The train that Snake was supposed to stop the shipment of nukes by the Peace Sentinel was originally intended to be a playable level. If the storyboards are of any indication, that train would have ended up being shot off the tracks and plummeting.
** Peace Walker was originally supposed to heavily resemble Metal Gear REX, down to the rail gun and even the design of its hangar was supposed to mirror REX's hangar on Shadow Moses.
** [[spoiler:Paz and Zadornov would have been discovered earlier to not be trustworthy (especially Paz), where Paz and Zadornov are overseeing its construction, and Big Boss discovers their affiliation to the Peace Sentinel by eavesdropping from a window in a manner very similar to how Solid Snake eavesdropped on Liquid Snake and Revolver Ocelot's conversation in ''VideoGame/MetalGearSolid'' before Coldman finds and surrounds him. Coldman was intended to be killed by Zadornov alone with a gun to the head, and at some point later, Paz would actually [[ChronicBackstabbingDisorder do the very same to Zadornov]] before hijacking ZEKE. If some of the storyboard sketches are anything to go by, Big Boss was apparently going to actually lead his troops on a sneaking mission rather than going in alone. An entire character model, the AI lab workers, who were implied to be of German origin, was also cut.]]
** DLC was originally planned, but never came to be.
** Originally, Project Itoh was working on the novelization for the game. Unfortunately, he passed away on March 20, 2009, leading to Kenji Yano, under pen name Hitori Nojima, taking on the job instead.
* WriteWhoYouKnow: Cécile is based on the former communications manager for Konami Paris, Cécile Caminades, in name and appearance.