* BannedInChina: For about two days in Singapore.
* CanadaEh: Believe it or not, both Shepards Voice Actors are Canadian. While Jennifer Hale is fairly good at hiding the accent, Mark Meer tends to fall into saying "Aboot" every once and awhile.
* CashCowFranchise: Four novellas, two comics (plus two free mini-comics), and three spinoff [[IOSGames iPhone]] games, so far.
* CelebrityVoiceActor: ''All'' over the place. Creator/SethGreen, Creator/AdamBaldwin, Creator/YvonneStrahovski, Creator/TriciaHelfer, Creator/MartinSheen, Creator/ClaudiaBlack, [[Film/TheMatrix Carrie-Anne Moss]]... the list goes on. In fact, it could be said that the in-development movie could very well be made with many of the characters literally being played by their voices (in fact, FanDumb might result if anything else were to happen in some cases!)
* DoingItForTheArt: [=BioWare=] had an entire animation team ''just for eyes''.
* InspiredBy: Mass Effect's technological aesthetics, particularly of the omni-tools and Alliance armor, were heavily influenced by box office bomb Anime/FinalFantasyTheSpiritsWithin. The game's art director was a big fan of the movie's style.
* RelationshipVoiceActor: Almost example, as Mark Meer ([=MaleShep=]) is married to Belinda Cornish, who voices Rana Thanoptis, the asari scientist who shows up on Virmire and has a minor role in the next two games. Don't forget that, in the first game, [[HarsherInHindsight Shep has the option to ''shoot'' Rana]]. [[spoiler: Turns out she was indoctrinated anyway.]]
* TheWikiRule: [[http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Mass_Effect_Wiki The Mass Effect Wiki]].
* WhatCouldHaveBeen: At one point, it was going to be possible to [[spoiler:save both Kaiden and Ashley. This was removed when the developers realized no one would want to go on to further games with one of them dead if given the option]].
** When Creator/DrewKarpyshyn was still attached as head writer, the Reapers' motivation was originally linked to the buildup of dark matter in the galaxy from overuse of eezo; hence the strange readings from Haestrom's sun in ''Mass Effect 2'' (see AbortedArc). Their rationale was going to be that the energy can't accrue if there's nobody in the galaxy advanced enough to make it. When Karpyshyn was re-assigned to ''VideoGame/StarWarsTheOldRepublic'' after ''Mass Effect 2'', the new writers instead went with [[spoiler: the general conflict between organics and synthetics]] we see in ''Mass Effect 3''.