* CashCowFranchise: Got even bigger with ''DS'' and ''Wii'', the latter actually selling better than ''VideoGame/GrandTheftAutoIV'', which would have been unthinkable the previous generation.
* FanNickname: The infamous Spiny Shell is pretty much known to all its fans and haters alike as the Blue Shell. That, or a long string of profanity.
** The most common name for the Spiny shell in Sweden is ''Ledarskalet'' translating into "the Leader shell", [[ExactlyWhatItSaysOnTheTin because it targets the leading racer.]]
** The Thunder Cloud from ''Mario Kart Wii'' is also known as the "Herpes Cloud". [[DontExplainTheJoke Because you give it to other players by contact.]]
** ''Mario Kart Wii'' gets called 'Mario Bike Wii' or 'Funky Bike Wii' or ''Daisy Bike Wii'' due to rampant use of bikes or speed-boosting characters.
** ''Mario Kart 8'' sometimes gets called ''Mario Kart Zero'', due to the anti-gravity being like that of ''VideoGame/FZero''.
** Some people were also calling it [[SonicRiders Mario Riders Zero Gravity]] when it was released, due to the gravity gimmicks, though they're hardly the same.
* IKnewIt: Many had predicted N64 Rainbow Road would return for ''Mario Kart 8''.
* KillerApp: ''8'' is shaping up to be one for the Wii U.
* TheOtherDarrin: In Mario Kart 7, instead of Mercedes Rose reprising her role, Rosalina is instead voiced by Kerri Kane. No explanation is given for this change. In ''8'', she is voiced by Laura Fay Smith, her actress from ''VideoGame/SuperMario3DWorld''.