* ActorAllusion: Former police officer Dannis Farina as FBI investigator Jack Crawford
* CastTheExpert: The scene where Reba touches a sedated tiger features a real sedated tiger. The veterinarian is played by a real veterinarian.
* CompletelyDifferentTitle: The translation of the film's French title is ''The Sixth Sense'', which gets it regularly confused with [[Film/TheSixthSense the M. Night Shyamalan movie]].
* TheDanza: Creator/WilliamPetersen as Will Graham.
* EnforcedMethodActing: Since Tom Noonan remained segregated from the rest of the cast, the fright on Stephen Lang's face during TheReveal of Dolarhyde was genuine.
* LifeImitatesArt: William Peterson found the role of Will Graham mentally exhausting and had trouble shaking Graham's characterisation even when he went on to other roles (he had to radically change his own appearance in order to look in the mirror and see someone else, according to Wiki/TheOtherWiki). Very appropriate, given that he's playing a criminal profiler who was institutionalised because he couldn't shake the thoughts of the serial killers he hunted.
* NonIndicativeTitle: Indirectly. ''Manhunter'' is actually a decent alternative title and fits well. But immediately after the success of ''TheSilenceOfTheLambs'', this film was broadcast on TV under the title ''Red Dragon: The Pursuit of Hannibal Lector''. The subtitle is the non-indicative part since it's set before ''Silence of the Lambs'', thus Lector is still behind bars where he stays for the entire film.
* PlayingAgainstType: Chris Elliott, of all people, in a straight role as one of the FBI techs.
* UnintentionalPeriodPiece: The soundtrack and fashions in the film permanently mark it as a product of TheEighties.
** [[http://www.avclub.com/articles/brian-cox,2424/ According to Brian Cox]], Brian Dennehy was "sort of in the loop" to play Lektor. Dennehy, for whatever reason, recommended that they check out Cox, who was performing in a play at the time. Also considered were Creator/BruceDern, Creator/JohnLithgow and Creator/MandyPatinkin.
** The studio wanted [[Series/MiamiVice Don Johnson]] for Will Graham. Creator/JeffBridges, Creator/RichardGere, Creator/MelGibson and Creator/PaulNewman were considered.
** Creator/DavidLynch was originally considered to direct.
* WorkingTitle: The film was originally going to be entitled ''Red Dragon'', the same name as the novel. However, when ''Film/YearOfTheDragon'' became a box office failure, Dino De Laurentiis decided to avoid a "dragon" title. He also did not want audiences to assume that this was a kung-fu movie.
!!The Video Game:
** Two more games were planned after ''San Francisco'', though only one had a confirmed setting of London. Some sources indicate that the London game was going to be the finale, with a third set in Chicago, while others claim London was up next and one set on the Orbs' homeworld would be the end.
** Advertisements for the games claimed the player would have to decide whether to remain a loyal servant of the Orbs or join the resistance. There are no opportunities for such decisions in the actual games.