* ActorAllusion: [[Film/SweeneyToddTheDemonBarberOfFleetStreet Mrs. Lovett and Pirelli]] ([[OohMeAccentsSlipping whose accent is, of course, all over the place]]) have hidden compartments all over the place and are seen stuffing "this and that" into a giant meat grinder with a false leg. [[Film/MammaMia Sophie]] has to deal with a loving but somewhat mysterious parent.
* AllStarCast: Creator/HughJackman (Valjean), Creator/RussellCrowe (Javert), Creator/AnneHathaway (Fantine), Creator/SachaBaronCohen (Thénardier), Creator/HelenaBonhamCarter (Mme. Thénardier), Creator/EddieRedmayne (Marius), Creator/AmandaSeyfried (Cosette), Samantha Barks (Éponine), and Creator/AaronTveit (Enjolras). In addition, Colm Wilkinson plays the Bishop of Digne while Frances Ruffelle and many other former cast members have cameos.
** For the film Creator/AnneHathaway had her hair cut short on camera and lost 25 pounds to make it look like she was dying. She refused to say how she lost so much weight in fear that other women would attempt her near-fatal methods for superficial reasons.
** Creator/HughJackman lost 30 pounds (even recreating the diet that Valjean would have had in prison), shaved his head, and grew a scraggly beard for the scenes where Valjean was a convict, even going 36 hours without water. Even more amazing is that he was exercising heavily while still not eating, on Wrsetling/DwayneJohnson's advice, because he had to shoot ''Film/TheWolverine'' almost immediately after ''Les Mis'' and had to get ready to bulk back up in record time.
* EnforcedMethodActing: According to the DVD commentary, the entire barricade building sequence was done by the actors themselves in real time, which was around 15 minutes, and the director's only instructions were four words: "Build a barricade. Action!"
* FakeNationality: The French characters are played by Australian, American and British actors.
* RealLifeRelative: Russell Crowe's son, Tennyson, appeared in "Do You Hear The People Sing?" as one of the street urchins, waving the red flag, with Gavroche.
* SavedFromDevelopmentHell: A film adaptation of the musical was discussed for many years; the 1991 souvenir program for the stage show claimed it was coming out in 1993 via [=TriStar=] Pictures. Universal Pictures was the studio that finally brought the movie to the light of day in December 2012.
* StarMakingRole: For Creator/EddieRedmayne. In fact, most people had never heard of him when his casting was announced.
** The original cut is 4 hours with a 15-minute long battle sequence. But Hooper trimmed it down to 2 hours and 37 minutes which results to some songs cut with some scenes from the trailers not appearing in the final version of the movie, such as the last part of "The Confrontation" where Valjean and Javert continues singing the last stanza of the song in a form of a DistantDuet.
** Before Samantha Barks reprised her role as Eponine for the film, Creator/LeaMichele, Music/TaylorSwift and Creator/ScarlettJohansson (who also auditioned for the role of Fantine) were considered for the role
** Before Anne Hathaway was cast as Fantine, Creator/AmyAdams, Creator/MarionCotillard and Creator/KateWinslet were considered for the role.
* WordOfGod: In Master of the House, Madame Thénardier replaces an outgoing guest's luggage with a basket containing a baby. It is confirmed that the baby is [[spoiler: Gavroche]].
* YouLookFamiliar: Most of the Amis, as well as other unnamed students that fight at the barricade, are played by young men who have played the roles of Enjolras, Marius, and other roles in the musical on West End.