* ExecutiveMeddling: The film's original ending made a little more sense, but was changed for overseas prints due to the poor performance in theaters. Yes, the impaled shark ending was used in original theatrical prints.
* FranchiseKiller: One of the most infamous examples, and one of the few films on Website/RottenTomatoes to have a 0% approval rating.
** Creator/MichaelCaine and Mario Van Peebles.
** Michael Brody is played by Film/TheLastStarfighter.
** Thea Brody is played by [[WesternAnimation/TheLandBeforeTime Judith]] [[WesternAnimation/AllDogsGoToHeaven Barsi]].
* MoneyDearBoy: Michael Caine only appeared because of it. And later regretted being in the Bahamas shooting it instead of picking up his Academy Award for ''Film/HannahAndHerSisters''. He's never even seen the film -- but he assures that it paid for a lovely house!
* OldShame: Michael Caine generally prefers not to acknowledge his involvement in ''The Revenge''.
* StarDerailingRole: Although she would retire from acting immediately after the film was completed, it was still a sad last effort for actress Lorraine Gary, who got a Worst Actress nomination for her performance.
** It was part of many box-office bombs that helped set back Michael Caine's career for a brief time, until he had a CareerResserecution in the late 1990's.
* WhatCouldHaveBeen: The film was considered to be made in 3D, but worries about the cost of shipping the 3D film cameras to the Bahamas and keeping them working properly in the tropical climate nixed that idea.