* ActorAllusion: Tootles shouts "Seize the day!" in the final scene, a reference to ''DeadPoetsSociety'' and Robin Williams' character.
** And also Smee shouting "GOOD MOOOOOOOORNING NEVERLAND!", in reference to ''GoodMorningVietnam''.
* AllStarCast: Most of the adult performers.
* EnforcedMethodActing: Only Robin Williams and Steven Spielberg knew who Peter [[spoiler:would give his sword to at the end]], so the reactions of the Lost Boys are genuine.
* HeyItsThatGuy: Gwyneth Paltrow as young Wendy.
** Creator/DanteBasco (Rufio) went on to voice [[AmericanDragonJakeLong Jake Long]] and [[WesternAnimation/AvatarTheLastAirbender Prince Zuko]]. This also makes ''ButImACheerleader'' a hell of a lot more funny.
** The guy who played [[Film/WhoFramedRogerRabbit Eddie Valiant]] and [[Film/SuperMarioBros Mario]] is British?!
** Apparently [[TheGraduate Benjamin Braddock]] picked a career in piracy, instead of plastics.
** Um, hello? Dame Maggie Smith as older Wendy -- it's [[Film/HarryPotter Professor [=McGonagall=]!]]
*** Even more impressively, [[ClashOfTheTitans the goddess Thetis!]]
** That flying couple appearing as Tinker Bell sends Peter to Neverland? It's [[StarWars George Lucas and Carrie Fisher]]!!
** PhilCollins as the police detective.
** [[spoiler: Glenn Close]] as Gutless, the Boo Box pirate. [[UnsettlingGenderReveal No, really.]]
** Toodles is [[Film/MaryPoppins Mr. Dawes, Jr.]]
** One of the pirates dropping scorpions into the boo box is played by Tony Burton who is first Apollo Creed's and then Rocky Balboa's Trainer.
** Don't Ask eventually left Neverland to [[Series/BandOfBrothers join the 101st Airborne and fight in World War II]].
* OldShame: Hook came out during a period where Spielberg was desperately trying to invoke TomHanksSyndrome, and prove he could be a serious director. Hook ended up being the most critically derided movie on his resume, so Spielberg doesn't reflect on it too well.
* TroubledProduction: Shooting went 40 days over schedule, the budget went over by by 50%, and Creator/JuliaRoberts was going through depression at the time, making it difficult to work with her.
* WhatCouldHaveBeen: Apparently, Creator/TomHanks and DavidBowie were considered as choices for Peter and Hook respectively (the latter turned it down).
** One of the original ideas for the film in TheEighties was a musical remake of the Disney animated version of the original play starring Michael Jackson. Supposedly, Jackson never forgave Spielberg for not casting him in this version.
** Kevin Kline was originally cast as Peter, but ''Soapdish'' reshoots scuppered this.
** Creator/StevenSpielberg was not the first choice to direct the film. [[TheLastStarfighter Nick Castle]] had planned to direct and spent a year in pre-production writing the script and planning. Spielberg then became interested and Castle was paid to leave the director's chair. He still shares screen story credit, however.
** This was intended to be a musical, but according to lyricist Leslie Bricusse, the filmmakers realized it would be both too long and too expensive, so most of the songs were cut ("We Don't Wanna Grow Up" and "When You're Alone" the exceptions). The happy instrumental theme that closes the film was originally the melody of a song called "Childhood", and a sheet music anthology of his work includes it, with the explanation that everyone loved it but couldn't think of a way to keep it in the film.
** Jack was, according to rumours, originally meant to be a fat kid. An obese pre-teen who loved baseball and had grown fat after his father had grown distant from him and he'd turned to food; the original beginning was meant to show Jack struggling to get into trousers and the ending was supposed to show him skinny (well, skinnier!) enough to get into them and that Neverland had brought Jack and Peter together and allowed Jack's life to improve.