!!The franchise in general:
* FranchiseZombie: The first four films have an actual continuity and contribute things to the series' MythArc like the Labyrinth, the origin of Pinhead, the [=LeMarchand=] bloodline, and [[spoiler:the death of Pinhead.]] Afterwards, creator Clive Barker cut ties with the franchise and every subsequent film is a DolledUpInstallment that drastically changes the role of the Cenobites from neutral extradimensional pain seekers to demonic punishers of the wicked with RealityWarping abilities and contributes nothing to the ''Hellraiser'' universe aside from throwaway [[ContinuityNod ContinuityNods]].
* TheOtherDarrin: Starting with ''Revelations'', Pinhead is played by Stephen Smith Collins instead of Doug Bradley.
!!The original film:
* PlayingAgainstType: Played With. Andrew Robinson, who's best known for playing the Scorpio killer in ''Film/DirtyHarry'', plays an average loving family man named Larry Cotton. Larry is oblivious to the fact that his wife is cheating on him with a demonic apparition of his brother and killing people. [[spoiler: It becomes subverted when Frank kills him and takes his skin for disguise, making Andrew play Frank by proxy.]]
* ThrowItIn: Andrew Robinson thought "Jesus wept" sounded so much cooler than the scripted line "Fuck you". Clive Barker agreed, and the line made it into the movie.
* WhatCouldHaveBeen: The music for the film was originally done by Coil (they were hired by Creator/CliveBarker after he listened to one of their albums and nearly got sick due to how brutal their music was) but the studio ended up rejecting it due to its content. Their score ended up getting released separately and Christopher Young did the score that ended up in the film (which launched his career as a composer).