* AdoredByTheNetwork: The show never does very well in ratings, but is pushed very heavily by HBO and renewed for later seasons despite this.
* CelebrityParadox: In the season 4 premiere, Shoshanna compares Adam, who has become an actor, to Armie Hammer and Creator/ZacharyQuinto. Quinto appears later in the season as Mimi-Rose Howard's ex-boyfriend Ace.
* CopiouslyCreditedCreator: Created, written, directed by, and starring Lena Dunham.
* TheDanza: Both the character (Sackler) and the actor who plays him (Driver) are named Adam.
* DirectedByCastMember / WrittenByCastMember: Lena Dunham (Hannah) created the show and also writes and directs many episodes (especially in the 1st season).
* FakeNationality: American Thomas-John is played by Irish comedian and actor Chris O'Dowd.
* RealitySubtext: [[http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/culture/2013/02/that-sex-scene-on-last-nights-girls.html This article]] suggests that Hannah and Sandy's conversation about her essay (he says nothing happens, she argues that what happens is that "a girl’s whole perspective on who she was, and her sexuality, changed") could be a pre-emptive response to criticism of the episode "One Man's Trash." Though it could just as well apply to several other episodes, or the series as a whole.
* UnfinishedEpisode: According to her memoir, Lena Dunham once pitched an episode, based on an incident from her own life, in which Hannah has a sexual encounter that might be construed as rape. The other writers shot it down, believing that rape just isn't funny.
* WriteWhoYouKnow: Dunham has OCD, is a writer, has made bad life choices, lost financial support from her parents, and is a mere 2 years older than her character.