* BreakthroughHit: "White Lightning".
* FanNickname: "The Possum" and "No-Show Jones." The former got a ShoutOut in "I Don't Need Your Rockin' Chair."
* OldShame: He recorded some rockabilly records in the fifties as "Thumper" Jones, and has openly admitted to these being an old shame.
* RealitySubtext: Even at the time they were released, it was hard for people ''not'' to see all those torch songs and songs about failed marriages as comments on his relationship with Tammy Wynette. The fact that she performed with him on several of them did nothing to discourage that speculation.
* ScrewedByTheLawyers: His 1989 single "The King Is Gone (And So Are You)" was pulled because it contained the phrase "[[WesternAnimation/TheFlintstones yabba-dabba-doo]]" and thus was the subject of a lawsuit threat from Creator/HannaBarbera.
* TechnologyMarchesOn: "High-Tech Redneck" falls victim to this. Released in 1993, the song lists off the numerous ways the titular redneck employs then-state-of-the-art technology to further his hillbilly lifestyle, including watching sports on his big-screen TV with ''stereo'' sound, listening to country music via ''cassette'' (already outdated, as [=CDs=] had outstripped cassette sales by that time), and calling up his baby on his ''cellular phone''. It can be argued that the song becomes funnier as the eponymous redneck's tech becomes increasingly outdated.