* ActorAllusion: Joseph Gordon Levitt previously hit it off with a girl called [[spoiler: Autumn]] on ''Series/ThirdRockFromTheSun''. Both times his character is named Tom (or Tommy).
* CareerResurrection: Provided one for Joseph Gordon Levitt. After ''Series/ThirdRockFromTheSun'' had ended, he slowly disappeared from acting and eventually took a hiatus. He returned to acting with a few other roles, but this put him back on the map.
* CowboyBeBopAtHisComputer: Both [[https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqJUxqkcnKA Feminist Frequency]] and [[http://www.cracked.com/blog/4-pieces-relationship-advice-movies-need-to-stop-giving/ this Cracked article]] listed Summer as a straight example of the ManicPixieDreamGirl, ignoring that the film subverts and outright challenges the trope. WordOfGod was that the intention was to deconstruct this naive idea of women.
* PlayingWithCharacterType: Zooey Deschanel is often known for playing the ManicPixieDreamGirl. She does here - and deconstructs the whole relationship with one.
** Summer was originally envisioned as a blonde to have a more obvious 'summer like' persona.
** The studio never intended to include the love documentary in the film - even telling Marc Webb not to film it. This changed when test audiences reacted positively to it. The documentary also originally ran longer - with opinions from Rachel, Summer, Millie and Tom's mother.
** The first draft had the film set in San Francisco, rather than Los Angeles.
* WriteWhoYouKnow: The story is inspired by a real romance co-writer Scott Neustadter had. When he showed the script to the woman who inspired the character of Summer, [[ProtagonistCenteredMorality she said she identified more with Tom.]]