* CreatorKiller: Hard as it is to believe now, the first game was expected to be this for Squaresoft, because it seemed all but certain they would go out of business due to bankruptcy, hence the name "Final Fantasy." Fortunately for them, this was subverted, as it ended up saving the company with its sales numbers.
* CreatorsFavorite: Creator/YoshitakaAmano has stated that of all characters he has drawn for ''Franchise/FinalFantasy'', Terra Branford from ''VideoGame/FinalFantasyVI'' is his favorite.
* DuelingGames: Before Square and Enix merged, ''Final Fantasy'' and ''DragonQuest'' were very much rivals of one another. Even today (mainly in Japan), there is still some rivalry over which series is better.
** And within the BrokenBase of ''Franchise/FinalFantasy'' fandom, while many different games' fans are at each other's throats, likely the best-known rivalry is between fans of ''VideoGame/FinalFantasyVII'' and ''VideoGame/FinalFantasyVI'', with many of the latter resenting the former's popularity, which is believed to be undeserved as compared to their own game, and the former thinking ([[UnknownRival if they care at all]]) that the title of best ''FF'' game is theirs and the old-school fans need to get over themselves already. This usually manifests itself as fighting over which game had the coolest villain.
* MagnumOpusDissonance: Hironobu Sakaguchi considers ''IX'' the best title in the series. The game received mixed reactions, and sold the least copies of all the Playstation 1 installments of the franchise.
* MeaningfulName: A lot of the names in the FF world draw upon mythology, religious beliefs, and fiction. A good example are all of the [[SummonMagic summons]], who are named after mythical figures, places, or objects such as Leviathan, Kujata, Shiva, Hades, and Ark to name a few.
** Some of the weapons are named after legendary ones such as Excalibur, Masamune, Gigas, and so forth.
** Certain [[ExactlyWhatItSaysOnTheTin spell names]] are obviously what they do also.
** The franchise ''itself''. At the time of its creation, as mentioned above, the first game was intended to be Squaresoft's last hurrah; a game meant to be the 'last word in turn based RPG's'. Fortunately, the game was so popular that it saved Square, and they went on to make more and more games, creating a franchise that's still loved by many. But the name has never changed: it's still called '''Final''' Fantasy, as an homage to the game that saved them.
* TheWikiRule: [[http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Final_Fantasy_Wiki Right here.]]