* ActorAllusion: Creator/SamNeill [[Film/TheFinalConflict once again]] plays [[spoiler:a prophet for Hell]].
* BoxOfficeBomb: Made only $47 million back of its $60 million budget at the box office.
* CreatorKiller: The film decimated the writing career of Philip Eisner right out of the gates. His next cinematic writing credit didn't come for 11 years, and that movie is his last theatrical credit.
* ExecutiveMeddling: The film originally ran for about 130 minutes, but Paramount forced director Paul W. S. Anderson to cut around 30 minutes of it (reportedly, mostly gore) after negative reactions at test screenings. Unfortunately, most of the deleted footage was lost or destroyed after post-production.
** Apparently, according to an interview from Anderson, the lost footage was finally found more or less intact. The missing scenes were eventually found in 2012 in an [[NoodleIncident abandoned Transylvanian]] [[GrailInTheGarbage salt mine]]. [[WhatCouldHaveBeen Too bad the quality of the material is so bad it prevents it from ever getting a proper, cleaned-up BluRay]], though salt mines are sometimes used for archival storage due to the very dry air they contain (the salt absorbs any moisture).
*** Kind of fitting where it was found, at least...
* WhatCouldHaveBeen: The original cut of the film was over two hours long and contained levels of gore that would have easily given it an NC-17 rating. Rumor has it that when this cut of the movie was screened for a test audience, some of them fainted while others rushed for the door due to being so disturbed by what they had seen.