* AuthorExistenceFailure: Not Creator/DavidLynch, but original cinematographer Herb Cardwell died midway into the production under mysterious circumstances.
* BigNameFan: Alternative rock pioneers Music/ThePixies frequently performed the "In Heaven" song at their gigs.
* DevelopmentHell: Due to troubles with funding and cast availability, this movie took five ''years'' to film. There's a scene where Henry walks through a door; his entering and exiting the door were shot a year apart.
* DyeingForYourArt: Jack Nance had to keep his famous haircut throughout production, essentially through the early half of the seventies.
* HeyItsThatGuy: Paul is [[Film/AssaultOnPrecinct131976 Napoleon Wilson]].
** Henry Spencer is [[Series/TwinPeaks Pete Martell]].
* NoBudget: The film was made on a budget of $20,000.
* ScheduleSlip: The film took Lynch 5 years to complete!
* ShrugOfGod: Lynch refuses to offer any clues for authorial intent, and pointedly refuses to discuss [[YouDoNOTWantToKnow how the Baby was made]].
** Here's one website with an interesting new interpretation of the film. In this interpretation, it has to do with conquering fear (such as Lynch's fear of crime/Philadelphia and the conquering the concept of SexIsEvil/shame) and that ''Eraserhead'' can be interpreted [[http://tinyurl.com/qc223er as something optimistic, pro-sex & positive]], rather than a grim tale of unwanted parenthood and infanticide. It's a decent theory, since killing an infant is not something that would warrant the embrace of the heavenly radiator lady.
* TroubledProduction: No studio would fund this film due to its unusual plot and Lynch's lack of experience, so he had to rely on funds from the AFI, as well as friends and family. Because of these financial troubles, filming was intermittent -- it took five years, and sets had to be repeatedly assembled and disassembled. While its critical reception was initially mixed, the film was praised by several other filmmakers (including, but not limited to Creator/MelBrooks, Creator/StanleyKubrick, and Creator/JohnWaters,) which [[ColbertBump kickstarted Lynch's career]].
* WriteWhatYouKnow: Apparently, David Lynch's wife was pregnant with their first child when he was coming up with this. Considering that this runs fully on NothingIsScarier, and the amount and type of symbolism in this film...