* AuthorExistenceFailure: Not Creator/DavidLynch, but original cinematographer Herb Cardwell died midway into the production under mysterious circumstances.
* BigNameFan: Alternative rock pioneers Music/ThePixies frequently performed the "In Heaven" song at their gigs.
* DevelopmentHell: Due to troubles with funding and cast availability, this movie took ''five years'' to film. There's a scene where Henry walks through a door; his entering and exiting the door were shot a year apart.
* DyeingForYourArt: Jack Nance had to keep his famous haircut throughout production, essentially through the early half of the seventies.
* NoBudget: The film was made on a budget of $20,000.
* ShrugOfGod: Lynch refuses to offer any clues for authorial intent, and pointedly refuses to discuss [[YouDoNOTWantToKnow how the Baby was made]].
* TroubledProduction: No studio would fund this film due to its unusual plot and Lynch's lack of experience, so he had to rely on funds from the AFI, as well as friends and family. Because of these financial troubles, filming was intermittent -- it took five years, and sets had to be repeatedly assembled and disassembled. While its critical reception was initially mixed, the film was praised by several other filmmakers (including, but not limited to Creator/MelBrooks, Creator/StanleyKubrick, and Creator/JohnWaters), which [[ColbertBump kickstarted Lynch's career]].
* WriteWhatYouKnow: Apparently, David Lynch's wife was pregnant with their first child when he was coming up with this. Considering that this runs fully on NothingIsScarier, and the amount and type of symbolism in this film...