* ButIPlayOneOnTV: Evangelical Christian Dot Cotton is played by Jewish actress June Brown.
* DawsonCasting: The E20 Gang. Sam Attwater who plays Leon is 24. Poppy, who at a guess is 21/22 is played by Rachel Bright, who is 29 as of June 2013 and Shivani Ghai, who played the 23-24 year old Ayesha was according to reports born in 1975, making her 37/38. Wikipedia however now has her age as a slightly younger 31/32.
** Averted with Michelle Ryan, who was 16 when she was cast as the 16-year-old Zoe Slater.
** Subverted with Wendy Richard, who by the time of this series was over 40 and had been acting for over 25 years, took the role specifically because she was tired of playing younger, "glamorous" characters.
* DyeingForYourArt: Jill Halfpenny really did have her own hair chopped off for the scene where Chrissie cuts Kate's hair in revenge.
* HeyItsThatGuy: The guy who killed Saskia used to play bass guitar in SpandauBallet.
** When ''EastEnders'' was first introduced, its creators tried to avoid casting actors who the viewing public would recognise as "stars". The two main aversions to this were [[Series/AreYouBeingServed Wendy Richard]] and [[Series/GrangeHill Susan Tully]].
** Indeed, many alumni of ''Grange Hill'' ended up appearing in ''EastEnders''. As well as the afore-mentioned Susan Tully (Suzanne Ross in ''Series/GrangeHill'' and Michelle Fowler in ''EastEnders''), both actors to play the role of Mark Fowler appeared in ''Grange Hill''.
** Former ''EastEnders'' actors had a habit of turning up as characters in ''Series/TheBill'': Irene Raymond (Roberta Taylor) = Gina Gold, Mark Fowler Mk II (Todd Carty) = Gabriel Kent, Ruby Allen (Louisa Lytton) = Beth Green, Natalie Evans (Lucy Speed) = Stevie Moss etc.
*** And vice-versa, especilly after the plug was pulled on ''Series/TheBill''.
** Johnny Allen is [[VideoGame/ModernWarfare Captain Price]].
* HeyItsThatPlace: While still under construction, the Albert Square set doubled as the Dusseldorf construction site employing the main characters in the first series of ''Series/AufWiedersehenPet''.
* TheOtherDarrin: Mark, Martin, Sam, Peggy, Steven, Peter, Lucy, Janine, [[spoiler: Lauren, Ben, Lucy again]])
** Todd Carty took over the role of Mark Fowler after the original actor, David Scarboro, committed suicide.
** Kim Medcalf replaced Danniella Westbrook as Sam Mitchell, after the latter was involved in a number of drug incidents. When Westbrook got better, she returned and Medcalf was promptly dropped.
** In one of the most bizarre examples of this trope, the producers wanted more ethnic characters in the soap... and so replaced Janine Butcher's original actress, Rebecca Michaels (who was White British) with Alexa Demetriou (who was Southern European). She was restored to her former ethnicity when Demetriou was in turn replaced by Charlie Brooks.
* WagTheDirector: June Brown, who plays Dot Cotton is every bit as much a devout Christian in real-life as Dot is on the show. For this reason, she refuses to say anything that might be considered blasphemous, or have Dot do anything un-Christian. Additionally, she forced the writers to add scenes showing Dot celebrating lesser-known Christian holidays such as Maundy Thursday, which she collected charity money for -- though this being ''[=EastEnders=]'', she was promptly mugged and the money stolen.
* WhatCouldHaveBeen: Before it was decided [[spoiler: Bobby Beale]] was Lucy's killer, other culprits considered were [[spoiler: Jane]] and [[spoiler: Cindy]].