* ButIPlayOneOnTV: Evangelical Christian Dot Cotton is played by Jewish actress June Brown.
* DawsonCasting: Subverted. Wendy Richard, who by the time of this series was over 40 and had been acting for over 25 years, took the role specifically because she was tired of playing younger, "glamorous" characters.
* DyeingForYourArt: Jill Halfpenny really did have her own hair chopped off for the scene where Chrissie cuts Kate's hair in revenge.
* HeyItsThatGuy: The guy who killed Saskia used to play bass guitar in SpandauBallet.
** When ''EastEnders'' was first introduced, its creators tried to avoid casting actors who the viewing public would recognise as "stars". The two main aversions to this were [[Series/AreYouBeingServed Wendy Richard]] and [[Series/GrangeHill Susan Tully]].
** Indeed, many alumni of ''Grange Hill'' ended up appearing in ''EastEnders''. As well as the afore-mentioned Susan Tully (Suzanne Ross in ''Series/GrangeHill'' and Michelle Fowler in ''EastEnders''), both actors to play the role of Mark Fowler appeared in ''Grange Hill''.
** Former ''EastEnders'' actors had a habit of turning up as characters in ''Series/TheBill'': Irene Raymond (Roberta Taylor) = Gina Gold, Mark Fowler Mk II (Todd Carty) = Gabriel Kent, Ruby Allen (Louisa Lytton) = Beth Green, Natalie Evans (Lucy Speed) = Stevie Moss etc.
*** And vice-versa, especilly after the plug was pulled on ''Series/TheBill''.
** Johnny Allen is [[VideoGame/ModernWarfare Captain Price]].
* HeyItsThatPlace: While still under construction, the Albert Square set doubled as the Dusseldorf construction site employing the main characters in the first series of ''Series/AufWiedersehenPet''.
* WagTheDirector: June Brown, who plays Dot Cotton is every bit as much a devout Christian in real-life as Dot is on the show. For this reason, she refuses to say anything that might be considered blasphemous, or have Dot do anything un-Christian. Additionally, she forced the writers to add scenes showing Dot celebrating lesser-known Christian holidays such as Maundy Thursday, which she collected charity money for -- though this being ''[=EastEnders=]'', she was promptly mugged and the money stolen.