** Randolph attempts to discredit Sheldon by tricking him into performing at a [[Film/AmericanHistoryX neo-Nazi rally]].
** Another [[Film/AmericanHistoryX AHX]] ShoutOut -- Sheldon pointing a gun at Burke and saying "You just fucked with the wrong rhino". Norton's character exclaims "You just fucked with the wrong bull" [[spoiler:before murdering the man who tried to steal his car.]]
* BoxOfficeBomb: It grossed $8,382,938 during its theatrical release, barely a sixth of its $50 million budget. Danny De Vito starts his DVD commentary with "I guess the mourning period is over."
* CreatorKiller: ''Death To Smoochy'' killed writer Adam Resnick's cinematic career completely after several failed screenplays previously. Resnick has only worked in TV since.
** Danny De Vito only directed one more film after this, the BenStiller comedy "Duplex", which also flopped. Fortunately he'd rebound on ItsAlwaysSunnyInPhiladelphia.
* OldShame: Jon Stewart brings his work in the film up a lot, almost to the point where you might make the mistake that he's actually ''proud'' of the movie but is afraid that liking it will make him not cool.
* PlayingAgainstType: In films before this, Ed Norton mostly played very strong and angry dramatic characters. Here he's a goofy hippie.
* WhatCouldHaveBeen: Among the auditionees for the part of Spinner, the brain-damaged boxer, was Music/HenryRollins. Rollins tells the [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSm0LZhVSnE story of his audition here]].