* ActingInTheDark: Anne Hathaway claims she doesn't know if Lureen [[spoiler: is lying when she tells Ennis how Jack died]]. There were two takes filmed with differing motivations, and parts from both of them were edited together in the final film.
* ActorInspiredElement: When Ennis finds his and Jack's shirts hanging in their childhood closet, Ennis's is tucked inside Jack's. [[spoiler: At the end when Ennis takes them home]], they are reversed. This was Heath Ledger's idea.
* BannedInChina: Literally. Despite celebrating Creator/AngLee's Oscar-winning movie as a triumph for the Chinese, the movie is still banned in the mainland (not the case for Taiwan) for its portrayal of homosexuals. It also got banned in most of the Middle East except for Lebanon and Turkey.
* BeamMeUpScotty: The film's SignatureLine is "I wish I ''knew how to'' quit you.", not "I wish I could quit you." or "I can't quit you.".
* BigNameFan: One of Daniel Day Lewis's favourite films. After Heath Ledger's death, he dedicated his SAG Award for ''Film/ThereWillBeBlood'' to Heath's memory.
* CreatorBacklash: [[http://leegoldberg.typepad.com/a_writers_life/2008/10/fanfic-makes-proulx-regret-writing-brokeback-mountain.html Annie Proulx has expressed regret over the story]], if only for fans who send "[[FanFic ghastly manuscripts]] and [[RuleThirtyFour pornish rewrites]] of the story to me, expecting me to reply with praise and applause for [[FixFic 'fixing' the story...]]".
* CreatorPreferredAdaptation: Annie Proulx approved of the film, saying that Heath Ledger was exactly as she'd pictured Ennis.
* EnforcedMethodActing: In order to get into character and really show Alma's anguish over Ennis's infidelity with Jack, Creator/MichelleWilliams asked HeathLedger, who she was dating at the time, and JakeGyllenhaal to make out behind the camera so her emotional anguish would be realistic. When they weren't passionate enough, she yelled at them.
* FakeAmerican: Heath Ledger (Australian) as Ennis.
* NamesTheSame: Brooklynn Proulx, who plays Jenny at age four, is not actually related to the author Annie Proulx.
* NeverWorkWithChildrenOrAnimals: Ang Lee had already sworn off ever making another movie featuring sheep after horrible experiences making ''Film/SenseAndSensibility''... and apparently they were even worse here.
* PlayingAgainstType: Creator/AnneHathaway as Lureen; this was one of several roles that moved her away from the ContractualPurity reputation she had at the time. Anne's agent even decided not to mention her work in ''Film/ThePrincessDiaries'' or ''Film/EllaEnchanted'', and introduced her to Ang Lee as a New York City Broadway actress. He hadn't seen any of her work beforehand and cast her based on her audition.
* PlayingGertrude: Heath Ledger was only four years older than Kate Mara, who played his daughter as a teenager. Granted he's supposed to be in his forties at this point in the film.
* RomanceOnTheSet: Heath Ledger and Michelle Williams fell in love on the set, and their daughter Matilda was born just before the film premiered.
** They filmed a sequence where Jack and Ennis help a group of hippies get their car out of a river. WordOfGod was that they wanted to show Jack and Ennis in a heroic situation. The sequence was disliked by nearly everyone - as it doesn't appear in the original story or the screenplay - and got cut from the final film.
** Mark Wahlberg and Joaquin Phoenix were considered for the leads in the film. Although the former was interested, he found the script too sexually graphic, and turned it down. Joseph Gordon Levitt was also heavily considered for the role of Ennis.
** Anne Hathaway was sent the script with the role of Alma in mind. But when she read it, she decided she'd rather audition for Lureen instead.