* ActorAllusion: One of Leslie's first scenes has her offering him a stick of gum. [=AnnaSophia Robb=] previously played Violet Beauregard in the remake of ''Film/CharlieAndTheChocolateFactory'' - a champion gum chewer.
* ActorInspiredElement: The "Dark Master" name was chosen by [=AnnaSophia=] Robb. Early in production it was known as the Key Monster.
* CaliforniaDoubling: Alberta, Canada and New Zealand as Virginia in the 2007 and 1985 films.
* TheCastShowoff: Zooey Deschanel plays a music teacher when she was in a band in real life and is a professionally trained singer. [=AnnaSophia=] Robb plays with this, as she does have a song - but it's in the credits.
* CreatorBacklash: A variation. Filmmakers were not happy with the studio marketing the film as a fantasy adventure. The screenwriter was the author's ''son'' and the partial inspiration for Jess no less.
** The BittersweetEnding is inspired by a real life event that happened to the author's son. That same son would become the producer and co-writer for the 2007 film.
** In a [[http://www.vpr.net/episode/45776/ 2009 radio interview]], Paterson recalled that it took weeks to summon up the courage to write the ending, to [[spoiler: kill off the girl she had brought back to life.]]
* FakeAmerican: Everyone except the main cast of the movie.
* NonSingingVoice: Josh Hutcherson claimed his singing voice is terrible, and the extras in the classroom were all New Zealand children - so their singing was dubbed in post production. It's credited as "Zoey Deschanel and the Terabithia choir."
* OneBookAuthor: The only American live-action film directed by [[Creator/KlaskyCsupo Gabor Csupo]].
* PlayingAgainstType: Robert Patrick - usually villains or jerkasses - as a kind father.
* PromotedFanboy: [=AnnaSophia=] Robb was a huge fan of the book and wrote a letter to the director when she heard the film was being made.
* RealLifeRelative: Director Gabor Csupo's daughter appears during the "free the pee" scene.
* SoMyKidsCanWatch: Robert Patrick aka [[Film/Terminator2JudgmentDay T-1000]] described his reason for taking the part in the film with precisely these words.
** [[spoiler: Leslie]] was almost SparedByTheAdaptation before the film was made, since several studios wouldn't touch the project because of the death. It was suggested that the character have a mild accident or be left in a coma instead.
** An oppossum was meant to be trapped in the greenhouse, but they are not native to New Zealand and the production was not allowed to import one. So it was changed to a Common Brushtail Possum instead.
** Allison Krauss was hired to score the film but she backed out and was replaced by Aaron Zigman.
* WriteWhoYouKnow: The characters and story are based off events and people from Katherine Paterson's own life - Jesse off her son David, Leslie off his best friend Lisa Hill, etc., and Jesse's loneliness reflects Paterson's own inability to fit in at school with others. Plus the poverty of the situation during the Seventies post the Vietnam War era. And the religious connotations off her own upbringing, since she learned from her father (a missionary who often traveled as part of his duties).