* ActorAllusion: Ace's fear of bats alludes to Jim Carrey's previous film ''Film/BatmanForever''.
* CreatorBacklash: Despite being his StarMakingRole, Creator/JimCarrey does not like Ace Ventura. Carrey was displeased with the sequel, causing him to swear off ever doing a sequel for any of his characters (although he has since done the ''Film/DumbAndDumber'' sequel ''Dumb and Dumber To''). This had an arguably lasting impact on his career as well since this role is seen as the reason why [[AwardSnub he's yet to get nominated for an Oscar.]] Of course, Jim Carrey famously dislikes watching his own performances in anything.
** Jim Carrey allegedly dislikes the sequel, while many fans consider it to be funnier than the original. Of course, funnier doesn't always mean better; it certainly cashed in on dirty humour. According to Jeff Daniels, Carrey had explained to him the reasons why he didn't like the sequel much. He disliked the whole "Ace is afraid of bats" angle, as he found it to be a cheap AssPull, and even fought with the director about changing the script so that Ace was merely ''allergic'' to bats. Carrey was also very nervous about the film's depiction of the native characters, and that people might take offense to them. He's even surprised the film hasn't been outright banned! He wouldn't make another sequel to one of his films until ''Film/DumbAndDumberTo'', which unfortunately was ''far'' less well-received.
** Creator/JenniferAniston told a story a few years ago about visiting Creator/CourteneyCox and bringing a copy of ''Ace Ventura'' to watch. Courteney refused to watch the film, suggesting she either doesn't like to watch her own work, like Jim Carrey, or that she just doesn't like the film much.
* CriticalDissonance: Despite the financial sucess and a huge fanbase, both movies were bashed by reviewers.
* TheOtherDarrin: Anne Cusack replaces Creator/CourteneyCox as Melissa in ''Ace Ventura Jr''. She's apparently out of the sports business now working with animals, married Ace and they have a son.
* ReferencedBy: The ''Manga/OnePiece'' character Franky (a.k.a. Cutty Flam) was based on Ace, at the admission of ''One Piece'' creator Eiichiro Oda.
* StarMakingRole: For Jim Carrey
** There was supposed to be a scene after Ace crashed his car while chasing Dan Marino's kidnappers. The white pigeon landed on his car, he got it singing "I got the white pi-geon! I got the white pi-geon". Then, in a parody of ''Film/TheBirds'', he is surrounded by birds that started tearing him apart. Then he [[AllJustADream wakes up]] with a big "whew." It was removed from the finished film since it was too dark, but ironically in the commentary WordOfGod says it was funny on paper.
** The giant hook Ace used to knock out two of Einhorn's henchmen was supposed to [[OffWithHisHead knock their heads off]].
** The original concept is the Pet Detective character was a bumbling idiot, until Jim Carrey was cast and his character was rewritten.
** Creator/RickMoranis, Creator/JuddNelson, and Creator/AlanRickman were all considered for the role of Ace.
** Lauren Holly, Creator/CarrieAnneMoss, Creator/TeaLeoni were all considered for the role of Melissa.
** Originally Ace wasn't written to be animal-related, but more of a generic Sherlock Holmes parody. Screenwriter Jack Bernstein came up with the pet detective idea after watching a Creator/DavidLetterman sketch about pet owners.
** At one point, the producers considered making Ace female, being named "Alice" instead, and with Creator/WhoopiGoldberg as their preferred choice.