* ActorSharedBackground: Both Creator/CreeSummer and her character Freddie are biracial, though their mixes are different--Cree's father is white, while Freddie's mother is.
* TheCastShowoff: Several cast members get to show off their singing talents in various episodes.
* ContractualPurity: Lisa Bonet got pregnant in-between seasons. Cosby was among those that felt viewers wouldn't accept Denise as an unwed mother, so Denise was transferred back to ''The Cosby Show'' before getting PutOnABus so Bonet could have the baby.
* DawsonCasting: Several of the cast members, including Jasmine Guy, Kadeem Hardison, and later Karen Malina White in the show's final season, were in their mid-20s when they were cast as Hillman students.
** Ironically, not so with Dawnn Lewis/Jaleesa, who was supposed to be older than the other students. Jaleesa was said to be 26 at the start of the series and Dawnn Lewis was in real-life.
* DirectedByCastMember: Jasmine Guy, Kadeem Harrison and Glynn Turman directed episodes from time to time.
* FakeAmerican: Subverted. Creator/CreeSummer was born in Los Angeles, but raised in Saskatchewan.
* FakeMixedRace: Inverted. Jasmine Guy is biracial, but her character, Whitley, is not.
* RomanceOnTheSet: Kadeem Hardison dated Creator/CreeSummer for a while during the show's run.
* ScrewedByTheNetwork: According to the cast interviewed on ''Unsung'', they believe that NBC Entertainment president Warren Littlefield canceled the show because of their decision to do an episode about the Rodney King verdict.
* WhatCouldHaveBeen: Allen Payne was asked to join the cast in the sixth season along with Karen White. (Both had appeared as their characters from ''Series/TheCosbyShow'' in Season 5's "Conflict of Interest" to tour the campus.) However, Payne opted to pursue a movie career, so Lance and Charmaine have a long-distance relationship that ultimately ends.
** Debbie Allen actually wanted to keep Marissa Tomei on the show and had worked on potential story ideas for Maggie following the retool.
** The show was originally conceived as the story of a white girl's experiences attending a historically black colleges (Creator/MegRyan was cast in the lead role)
* WriteWhoYouKnow: Whitley and many of her stories were based on the life of one of the show's writers.
* WrittenByCastMember: Jasmine Guy wrote a handful of episodes.