A teddy bear is a stuffed toy animal in the shape of a bear. Among toy animals, bears are especially common and popular. Plush bears are the subject of entire toy lines, and the specialty in some toy shops.
Teddy bears are OlderThanTelevision; their name comes from [[TheodoreRoosevelt Theodore "Teddy" Roosevelt]], who once refused to shoot a bear during a bear hunt. So, a teddy bear is a cute thing whom one would not want to kill, and the Steiff bear was patented in 1905. The label "teddy bear" now refers to almost any plush bear.
Teddy bears always avert BearsAreBadNews. Teddy bears are not fierce; they like to give hugs! Teddy bears rarely act like bears (unless they want to [[StockAnimalDiet eat honey]]), they are just generic animals who happen to be bears because they are furry and not human. Teddy bears are [[SlidingScaleOfAnthropomorphism anthropomorphic]] and usually fit the FunnyAnimal trope; they do not look human, but they have two arms and two legs (whereas real bears have four legs), and would walk on two feet, though they are often posed sitting. Teddy bears have eyes, nose and mouth almost like a human; but their bear ears are on top of their head. On the bear's behind, there might be a small tail. Teddy bears wear fur; brown is the usual generic bear color, but some bears are other colors. Some bears have a small amount of hair (of whatever color) between their ears. Some bears wear a shirt.
!! Teddy bears provide examples of:
* AmazingTechnicolorWildlife: Many teddy bears [[AvertedTrope avert]] this trope; but some teddy bears have fur blue, green, pink, purple, or another color not natural to bears.
* ColorCodedCharacters: A toy line with more than one teddy bear may assign different colors of fur. Taking the Franchise/CareBears as an example, Tenderheart Bear is the generic brown, Grumpy Bear is blue, Love-a-lot Bear is pink, and so on.
* PandaingToTheAudience: Plush pandas are a subset of teddy bears. Pandas, like teddy bears, are meant to look cute and adorable. A zoo that hosts a real panda will probably sell teddy pandas. Sometimes, the toy panda will deviate from the usual teddy shape, to take a more panda shape.
* SpeciesSurname: Named teddy bears tend to keep "Bear" as their last name.
* TertiarySexualCharacteristics: Teddy bears, like Teddy Roosevelt, seem to be male by default. A female teddy bear might wear a bow, or have pink fur. Or, the owner of a toy bear may avert this trope and decide that a bear is female.