"''La traviata'' is an opera in three acts by GiuseppeVerdi, set to an Italian libretto by Francesco Maria Piave. It is based on ''La dame aux Camélias'' (1852), a play adapted from the novel by Alexandre Dumas ''fils''. The title "La traviata" means literally ''The Fallen Woman'', or perhaps more figuratively, ''The Woman Who Goes Astray''. It was originally titled ''Violetta'', after the main character." -TheOtherWiki
Violetta Valéry, the famed Parisian courtesan, appears to have everything in life, free to pursue anything and anyone that strikes her fancy. But when the young Alfredo Germont falls in love with her, she contemplates the possibility of changing her life. Some months later, the pair is living together happily, until Alfredo's father arrives to ask her to break off the relationship, as his daughter's fiancé refuses to marry a woman whose brother lives with a former courtesan. With great pain, Violetta agrees and flees back to her former life. Alfredo ignores his father's pleas and sets to seek her out among her old life, humiliating her in front of society by throwing money as 'payment' for their time together her way. He has no idea that Violetta is terminally ill with consumption, finding out only after she retreats away from society, close to death. Though Germont reveals to his son that Violetta abandoned him for noble reasons, she dies shortly after their reconciliation.
!!Tropes for this opera include:
* BreakHisHeartToSaveHim: At the request of Alfredo's dad.
* [[spoiler:DiedInYourArmsTonight:]] A beautiful rendition, played for drama, in the ending.
* DownerEnding: Alfredo manages to track Violetta down, but when he arrives to her side, she's in the last stage of her tuberculosis.
* FemmeFatale: Violetta fits this trope perfectly, although she's an IllGirl version of it.
* HookerWithAHeartOfGold: Violetta.
* IllGirl: Violetta, too.
** IncurableCoughOfDeath: The cause.
** VictorianNovelDisease: The illness, since the opera was adapted from the Dumas novel The Lady of the Camellias.
* IJustWantMyBelovedToBeHappy: Before her [[ForegoneConclusion death]], Violetta tells Alfredo that a girl in her youth will fall for him, and that he should marry said girl.
* MassiveMultiplayerEnsembleNumber: The Finale
* [[spoiler:StarCrossedLovers]]: [[spoiler:Alfredo and Violetta.]]
* UntranslatedTitle: Like so many Verdi operas. As mentioned above, it translates literally to "The Lost Lady" or "The Fallen Woman".
* WhatTheHellHero: Everyone reprimands Alfredo for upsetting Violetta by forcing a confession out of her for loving the baron and throwing his [Alfredo's] money at her. The fact that poor Violetta passes out ''right there'' due to her illness doesn't help.